95 GT Conv. Bumper Suggestions?

bdragons

Reaction score
Hi all - lurker for awhile, but first time posting so be nice :)

My pony is a 1995 GT Convert, owned and loved since 2000 - 70k original miles. Put lots of goodies into her for some get up and go, but wont bother with all that minutia here. She is always stored in the garage, but a few weeks back I pulled her out in the street to clean my garage out. Guess what? Some joker had to crash my front end :mad:. Really just my bumper and a small dent on the side, but still... The good news is that she was insured and I got an awesome settlement for the deal, plenty to fix the damage and extra for well..extras! So it seems that the shop I took her to priced me out a salvage bumper (in VG condition) but it was actually a lot more than what Im seeing for some after market bumpers online and it still had to be painted.

I have read some threads, and I know that it may be a bit like asking whats the best flavor of ice cream - BUT can any one make a suggestion on an aftermarket bumper style that will look good on a 1995 GT Convert? Rest of my body is all original, so if the regular GT bumper is what looks best then just say so! I don't really think I want a Cobra, I do like the Cobra R but my GT is lowered - so I'm worried about having a plow. Looking for a straight, bolt-on replacement w\o have to do any mods to fit. Also looking for recommended companies to deal with online, or even any that will also paint the bumper to oem colors?? Pics would be great for reference if you have a recommendation! Im asking for opinions, so there is no wrong answer. Thanks much!!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you do go with a stock looking replacement I would suggest you hit your junk yard and get and actual OEM replacement that might even need work over a new reproduction. The reproduction parts just do not fit as well and need more work to line up as well as are just thinner/cheaper. I made the mistake of using a reproduction fender and I am afraid to lean on it as its really soft/thin...

OP
OP
B

bdragons

Reaction score
Great feedback some far guys, thanks :thumbsup:. Your probably swaying me to stick with junkyard replacement...

BTW TTOCS, your pony looks sweet. You really have yours slammed low, looks good.

So does anyone have any aftermarket bumper replacements that they are actually happy with??

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with the Saleen, Roush, Cobra, or stock front bumper, but the rest of the car is what pulls it off. As ttocs mentioned though, aftermarket parts have a tendency to be plagued with fitment issues not seen with OEM parts.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Cobra aftermarket on an otherwise stock-bodied 95 GT:

IMG_5944.jpg

IMG_5945.jpg

IMG_5946.jpg

IMG_5948.jpg

Fitment is good. I personally would go with either a GT one or a Cobra one. Honestly, I would have stuck with a GT one except I have front brake ducts and I like the Cobra fog light holes better than the GT ones. As others have said, be careful with aftermarket. Don't buy anything plastic or fiberglass if you do go aftermarket. Stick with urethane. And stick with Late Model Resto or American Muscle (or equivalent) as they have good customer service in case there are any issues. If you can find one in the salvage yard (GT, I doubt you will find a Cobra one) in good shape, then snag that guy. Just make sure there are no tears or punctures in the bumper.

Oh, and welcome ;)

Mustanger

Reaction score
I doubt if the Roush would be good for your needs plus they are very hard to find & expensive....but I like how they work on the GT bumper a lot... Or just stay with the Mach I chin Spoiler!

IMG_8820.jpg

OP
OP
B

bdragons

Reaction score
Great stuff guys, thanks much. Ya I like that Roush bumper alot, but Im sure I'd have a hard time sourcing one or if I did I would pay a mint for it. The best I could find was an original GT in VG at a salvage yard for $350, then I'd still have to pay for paint. Bad news is that the bumper I have is still in good shape minus the paint, but all 3 places Ive taken it to for estimates have told me it would cost more to strip the old paint off then to just buy a new bumper cover and repaint :confused:.

Right now Im finishing off my install of new headlights with 43k HID bulbs, so I have a few days to figure out what Im going to do...

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You ever get this sorted out? Look on Craigslist. I see nice oem bumpers for $50-100 all the time.

PinkieT

Reaction score
I have a Pull-A-Part yard near me. Front bumper covers are $35 plus a $4 core charge. Keep checking boneyards is my suggestion. That and Craigslist - somebody has a 2000 bumper cover in primer for $55 where I live.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online

No members online now.