96 GT 5.0 swap

jess4139

Reaction score
I have a 96 GT rolling shell, that I really wanna get going. I also have a 5.0 out of a 95 laying around. I have the harness, ecu, etc for that engine as well. Engine is staying stock just to get the car running for now. I'm expecting to have to swap the k member, exhaust manifolds and what not, but I'm wondering if anyone else has plopped a 5.0 into a 2v mod car and of so what all does it entail?

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
If you swap the K-member, you should also swap the spindles. The steering rack is higher on the earlier k-members so you 'll get bumpsteer if you don't change them out. Also, you'll have to plumb up the hydroboost to the 302 engine. Not impossible but it's a custom hose setup for that. You'll need a trans as the mod motor bolt pattern is different. T-45 won't bolt to a 302. Not sure if there are adapters. Different wiring, different ECU, no more OBD2.

OP
OP
J

jess4139

Reaction score
If you swap the K-member, you should also swap the spindles. The steering rack is higher on the earlier k-members so you 'll get bumpsteer if you don't change them out. Also, you'll have to plumb up the hydroboost to the 302 engine. Not impossible but it's a custom hose setup for that. You'll need a trans as the mod motor bolt pattern is different. T-45 won't bolt to a 302. Not sure if there are adapters. Different wiring, different ECU, no more OBD2.
I have my harness, ecu, and k member sorted out. I didn't know about the the spindles though I appreciate it. I found some info on hydroboost plumbing but honestly I'm debating swapping back to a vacuum booster just for ease of swap. I have a t5 out of a 94 priced out and ready to go as well, just need to order a clutch assembly and a flywheel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican