98 Cobra Family Cruiser

OP
OP
J

jfisher

Reaction score
Very Nice car. sucks to see that 6 bolt in there that's definitely an oddity. I too found out a few dirty little secrets about my car too just have to accept it/fix it and move on. Really excited to see the progress on it!

Quick question did you notice anything by swapping to the H&R vert springs? I've got so called coupe springs on my car.
Exactly. Nothing I can do about it now. If I find a Cobra 8 bolt engine on the side I may pick it up and rebuild it as I have time, but for now I'm over it.

I went from Eibach Sportlines on stock shocks that were on the car when I first got it to H&R vert specific springs with Bilsteins so it's tough for me to make a comparison. To say the car rode like ass when I first picked it up was an understatement. I was actually in disbelief how poorly it rode and how much the seller made it sound like it was a solid riding car. That should have been my first sign... But the spring rates are for sure different. By how much I'm not really sure as H&R doesn't advertise their rates. I'm sure it's pretty minimal, but if the option was there I was taking it.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
hmm good info i may look into it. plan was to use strange shocks/struts with my current cheap springs but i may upgrade

OP
OP
J

jfisher

Reaction score
hmm good info i may look into it. plan was to use strange shocks/struts with my current cheap springs but i may upgrade

It just all depends on your goals with the car. I had a 93 fox that was a more street / strip car and had stranges front and rear with H&R's out back and coilovers up front. It rode really well. But I really like the H&R / UPR coilover / Bilstein HD combo on this Cobra. Makes for a solid riding street car.

OP
OP
J

jfisher

Reaction score
Quick update on the Cobra. I had a leaky head cooling mod fitting on the passenger side which lead to the car over-heating and I believe popped a HG several weeks back. I haven't gotten a chance to pull the engine out yet, but I've got some nice white smoke out of the exhaust and the car won't ever get up to temp. I've got one of those big white funnel coolant kits where you can adapt the funnel to the reservoir cap. It just never stops lightly bubbling. I was pretty bummed about that and started looking at my options for the repair.

I was pretty set on just pulling the engine out and replacing the head gaskets until I ran across an engine on FB and ended up picking that up for a good price. I have a feeling the engine I'm going to be pulling out is a Mark VIII engine, which isn't a huge deal, but it will be nice having a Cobra engine back in the car.

New unit:
Teksid block
04 Cobra crank
Je Pistons
Manley H beams
Melling Oil Pump
ARP Main studs, rod bolts, jack screws, head studs and cam / crank bolts
DB 9 Thread C heads
New valves, guides and BTR SP008-32 valve springs
Stock 96 Cobra Cams
Mach 1 "lower" intake manifold

Not sure if I'll have the car back out this year or not, but happy to be moving in the right direction again. I have a bunch of mod motor parts for sale if anyone needs anything.

IMG-5207.jpg
IMG-5208.jpg

It's all new, but going to have Barker Machine and Fab take a look at everything for me and make sure it's all good to go.

Last edited:

Maximum95

Reaction score
Nice looking 'vert my friend! Quite a list of strange issues too. I enjoyed reading about it. Just when you think you've seen it all!

That new motor looks fantastic.

I do have a question regarding tunes on these. I have a '95 with a QuarterHorse. Is the '98 still tuned with a chip on the J3 port? Or is it a flash tune?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Benne02