98 gt running like crap !

Jackinyourbox

Reaction score
I own a well maintained 98gt with 35000 miles . I just installed pi cams and intake and new ngk plugs about 50 miles ago . It ran fantastic ... For 50 freaking miles ... Now it sputters on take off . And when I go WOT it sputters so bad it sounds like a damn machine gun .and makes a puffing sound at idle . And definitely don't have the power I once had . It's Embarrassing .No check engine light is on or any other light . Here are the things I did in hopes of fixing the problem .
-new fuel filter
-new cool packs
-new spark plug wires
-all injectors are running (maybe one is plugged up idk)
-no gas odor coming from exhaust
-fuel pressure is at 32psi with key on 30psi running
-starts up fine no problems .
Been struggling with this for a damn week!
Many help would be appreciated .
thanks

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
PinkieT makes alot of sense. The computer cant pick up a vac leak.

Here is my suggestion. Go unplug the maf and then take it for a drive. Report back.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Great suggestion guys, thats exactly what i was thinking when i read he did a pi swap. One other thing, did you tune it? Try unplugging the battery for 30 min to clear and reset.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I had similar issues after doing my pi intake and cam swap and the guys above are leading you in the right direction. Mine turned out to be several vacuum leaks... Check all those plastic vacuum lines (they tend to crack if you breathe on them too hard) and really check the rubber hose that plugs into the back of the throttle body/plenum, mine was dry-rotted and cracked causing a major leak. Good luck and let us know what you find

OP
OP
J

Jackinyourbox

Reaction score
Ok guys . Didn't have time to do much to night . And no nighttrain it isn't tuned. I did start it up and it has gotten ad enough and triggered my check engine light and it was the P0300 code . Random or multiple misfire , which I guess a vacuum leak can cause . I did start checking some vacuum Lines . The one coming out of the plenum isn't to bad . End of line is showing some small signs of dry rot . Started spraying carb cleaner over some lines. But didn't get a rise in rpms. I guess I'll check plugs and more lines tomorrow .ugh . Fml

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Do you have a compression gauge? Maybe the cam timing is off, or the cam sensor is bad.

When you pulled the timing cover for the swap, was the tone ring (reluctor ring) behind the crankshaft sensor in good shape? Sometimes they get play in them or break and cause funky timing/running issues.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Didn't have time to get it out for a ride with maf unplugged . What would I notice from that ?
Car goes into safe mode with fuel and timing. In other words, itll run rich. A jacked up maf sensor can cause higher rpm issues like you describe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.