98 gt supercharging ?s

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by Chris61210, May 20, 2007.

1. Chris61210

Chris61210 New Member

i have a 98 gt and I have about 3500 that I can afford to put into it. I have found a supercharger for a good deal and I am planning on purchasing it. Is there anything I should do before installing a supercharger. I had a buddy that had a 98 like me and installed a supercharger and his motor blew in 2 days. should i replace my rods and pistons or is it really necassary, because i dont know if i would be able to afford it. I already have all the basic bolt ons like the cold air, plenum, tb, xpipe, exhaust. I will put 373 gears in the rear and 30lb fuel injectors. will my engine be able to handle a supercharger. It has 69000 original miles on it. Thank you

2. Grnstang

Grnstang Member

I've heard some rumors that our cars with the stock, non-forged, internals would only support up to around a 6psi blower. Anything higher and it'll be pushing it. I'm not positive, but if it were me and I had the money, I would do the rods, crankshaft and pistons too. I've also heard of others who have had higher mileage cars and blew the motor after a supercharger install.

3. Grnstang

Grnstang Member

Ford Racing makes a supercharger designed for the 96-98 GT's. It's only 6psi, but it'll probably be quite noticeable. Especially with all the other bolt ons.

4. DropTopPony

DropTopPony Administrator Staff Member Admin SN95 Supporter

Your buddy's car probably blew so quickly because it had a poor tune. We can safely run 400rwhp on these stock internals as long as the tune is good. I would get the blower now and then upgrade your internals later as you save up. Check out Blown97stanger on here...he went with the blower before heads/intake/cams etc and is making good hp.

5. Whistler98

Whistler98 Active Member

Put the blower on just get it tuned. I installed my blower at 82,000 or so miles, and now I have 95,000 and it has been running great. I am running 8psi as well, and when I got the blower put on my speedo wasn't working so I have more miles that that with the blower. O0 Get the blower as long as you have a good tune and then save up for forged internals.

6. GDawg

GDawg Well-Known Member

See sig...

$3500 isn't going to buy what I have. The word is not above 400hp for a stock engine.