99/01 Cobra aftermarket bumpers

Discussion in 'Exterior and Interior' started by heffe2001, Aug 25, 2015.

1. heffe2001

heffe2001 Active Member

I got one of the Ebay 99/01 cobra bumpers, figured I'd post some pictures, since you can't ever seem to find any detailed ones. It's got a couple places I'll need to tend to, but better than the Saleen kit I bought last year (WAY better). My main issue is the foglight area, the holes aren't round, they are oblong, and no easily apparent way to mount the foglights.

[​IMG]

Several pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/jnO3i

2. heffe2001

heffe2001 Active Member

I also should ad, mine's not thin like paper (like in the other 99/01 Cobra ebay bumper thread). It's not as thick as the old-school fiberglass stuff, but appears to be very sturdy, and I don't think I'll have any issues with it.

3. Ferocious

Ferocious Legend SN95 Supporter

Have you done a test fit on the car yet? A member on here got an ebay cobra bumper a while and the fit was atrocious. How much are these going for anyway? I can't imagine them being more than $250 with the amount of prep and body work that still needs to be done before it looks presentable.

4. heffe2001

heffe2001 Active Member

Going to test fit today, I have a feeling the quality has improved since that initial report on here. They had a first year anniversary special that I got in on, 260 shipped. Honestly there doesn't look like a ton of prep will be needed. I can tell you it's definitely not 'paper thin' like the other report on here. Once I get it test fitted, I'll see if I can get some decent pictures of it on the car.

I certainly don't think there's 100 hours of prep work needed here anyway..

If the fit ends up being decent, and not much prep, I may buy one of their new rear bumpers:

[​IMG]

He said they wanted $480 shipped for those. First 03/04 Cobra rear bumper out there without COBRA, and with MUSTANG on them. He said the vinyl decal letters for the regular bumper fit the lettering on these as well.

5. thatmustangkid

thatmustangkid New Member

any news on how she fit?

6. Cpotts13

Cpotts13 Well-Known Member

Yeah cant keep up guessing.. Maybe its still getting work done to it to get it to fit.. lol :laughing5:

7. Sinned83

Sinned83 Well-Known Member

MPS had oem ones a couple years back... Got one in storage

8. heffe2001

heffe2001 Active Member

Sorry, didn't get notified on the replies here (I don't get notifications from here at all anymore, not sure why). The passenger side headlight bucket needs some material trimmed off, and we had to pull down the bottom to fit it around the radiator support, but it does fit. It's stronger than it looks like it should be, didn't have any issues pulling it down.

Right now, I'm not 100% sure I'm going to use it, as the foglight bezels that are built into it are bugging me by not being round (they say just cut the hole round, it's a rounded edge, it'll look bad if you cut/sand it round). I'm going to look at cutting out the fog bezels, and fitting OEM ones in it. If they fit I'll probably use it, otherwise I'll use the Cervinis Cobra-R I picked up last week (brand new, never painted or mounted, $100 bucks)...

If I ever get my car running again, I'll start working on the bumper again..

I took it to my body man last week to check it out, and other than my concern with the bezels, his only concern was the thickness of it, but once he started looking at it, said it was sturdier than he thought it'd be for the thickness, and that it looked better than he thought it would.

If I get a chance tomorrow, I may fit it back on as it is, and get some pictures.

9. heffe2001

heffe2001 Active Member

I just can't seem to get this thing on the car by myself. Going to have to have a second set of hands. At this point, after handling the cobra bumper, and the cobra-r bumper, I think I'm just going to go with the R bumper, it's WAY better quality, and way more solid. Wonder what I can get out of this Cobra bumper, lol.