99-04 front calipers on 95

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
Have any yall put parts store '99 calipers on your 94/95? I'm needing to do a brake job here pretty soon and I'm wondering if it'd be worth the extra money and effort to buy new calipers? I'm going to use stock rotors and ceramic pads. I'm not looking to buy an aftermarket brake kit. If anyone has done it, was it a night and day difference or just kinda meh? That's sort of a loaded question I guess since we're comparing old worn out pads etc vs new. Any thoughts?

Don't Sext and Drive.

lutter94

Reaction score
PBR rotors are slightly bigger than your 95. I'd shoot for Cobra calipers, and 14" rotors, they really aren't that expensive, try rockauto and amazon.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
PBR rotors are slightly bigger than your 95. I'd shoot for Cobra calipers, and 14" rotors, they really aren't that expensive, try rockauto and amazon.

WOah woah woah! 14" will fit under the cobra calipers?? I need it.

bluex

Reaction score
So the 95 and 99 GT's have the same rotors?

Don't Sext and Drive.
Yes I put a set of 02 calipers on my 96 an used the same rotors. Some slight grinding might be needed on the spindle. Mine had a casting line the calipers were hitting.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My bad, 13". Sorry I was wrong lol.

Damn I got real excited for a minute lol.

But yes you can use the stock rotors with the newer calipers. They are a pretty good bit better than what comes stock on your car.

OP
OP
Nuttinbutcrumbs

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
Do the 99-04's GT's have the same master cylinder as the 94-98's? I know the cobra's were different.
If no, then I'm not sure it'd be worth the caliper swap if I kept the same master.
Just thinking aloud.

Don't Sext and Drive.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Most grab calipers and rotors from a 96-98 cobra, but youll need 17" wheels to clear them

lutter94

Reaction score
Do the 99-04's GT's have the same master cylinder as the 94-98's? I know the cobra's were different.
If no, then I'm not sure it'd be worth the caliper swap if I kept the same master.
Just thinking aloud.

Don't Sext and Drive.

94/95 don't have hydroboost like 96+ do. When I put cobra fronts on, I swapped out the MC to a cobra one. If you don't the pedal will be firmer (not necessarily a bad thing, your preference).

OP
OP
Nuttinbutcrumbs

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
Most grab calipers and rotors from a 96-98 cobra, but youll need 17" wheels to clear them
I have 17x9's
94/95 don't have hydroboost like 96+ do. When I put cobra fronts on, I swapped out the MC to a cobra one. If you don't the pedal will be firmer (not necessarily a bad thing, your preference).
Probably a deal breaker then, firmer pedal w similar performance. I think we're just getting a regular ole brake job w new stock rotors.

Don't Sext and Drive.

wmfateam

Reaction score
I have the 99_04 calipers sitting in my waiting to go on parts bin. They are much lighter than the 96_98 calipers. I'm using them because I have to use stock size rotors in my class. Less weight, they can dissipate heat better, and with dual pistons the pressure applied is s little more spread out. And being a 96_98 you don't have to modify the spindles or MC.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I don't see why the master cylinder would be an issue. The V6 doesn't use the hydroboost setup, and as far as I know Gt and V6 brakes are the same, the 6 just uses a vacuum booster like the 5.0 does. The calipers should be the same.

I installed cobra brakes without changing the master cylinder and it all worked just fine to me, however the cobra MC is valved a bit differently to provide more equal braking.

You going from stock 94/95 calipers to stock 99-04 calipers would be a pretty good difference. I did it on my old coworkers 95 and he told me it was leaps and bounds better.

So....yea.

bluex

Reaction score
I have the 99_04 calipers sitting in my waiting to go on parts bin. They are much lighter than the 96_98 calipers. I'm using them because I have to use stock size rotors in my class. Less weight, they can dissipate heat better, and with dual pistons the pressure applied is s little more spread out. And being a 96_98 you don't have to modify the spindles or MC.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I and to grind a little on the spindles on my 96. Just had to knock a casting line down flat is all.

OP
OP
Nuttinbutcrumbs

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
I don't see why the master cylinder would be an issue. The V6 doesn't use the hydroboost setup, and as far as I know Gt and V6 brakes are the same, the 6 just uses a vacuum booster like the 5.0 does. The calipers should be the same.

I installed cobra brakes without changing the master cylinder and it all worked just fine to me, however the cobra MC is valved a bit differently to provide more equal braking.

You going from stock 94/95 calipers to stock 99-04 calipers would be a pretty good difference. I did it on my old coworkers 95 and he told me it was leaps and bounds better.

So....yea.
Hm, ok cool. Was it fairly straight fwd minus a little grinding? How old were the pads and rotors that you replaced? Were they worn to the bone or fairly new?

Don't Sext and Drive.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
fairly new. and the calipers he put on were my old ones, so they had about 180k on them but still worked much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson