a/c, turn signal short

mark8796

Reaction score
my 87 lx has some kinda wiring problem...i'm shaking my head. let me know if u have any ideas. usually when car is cold (as in operating temp, not outside temp) my turn signals don't work and a/c blows at like a .5 (blower speed settings are 1-4), it's blowing, but just barely even though it's set to max/4. i can punch or kick the kick panel below the steering wheel hard several times, one hit will finally cause the 4 orange idiot lights to the right of the steering wheel to momentarily flash, and a/c blows as it is set/should and turn signals work again. i crawled under the dash and wiggled some wires/harnesses while turn signal column was down (for a left turn) to see if i could duplicate problem. no luck. when car has been running for a while, this problem is really rare. thought maybe the alternator was intermittantely not providing pwr, although instrument panel voltmeter shows ok and battery is ok. maybe shorts on several wires or a loose ground? dunno. thoughts?

Greggerex

Reaction score
If I were to guess I'd say one of the wires is possibly contacting another wire or some other conductor... that would sink some of the current that should be going to the A/C.

I doubt it would be a short to ground as I would expect that would cause A/C to not work at all.

Also, I doubt it would be a loose connection because I would see that causing intermittent performance.

Of course could be wrong...

Like quickstang said, trace back some wires to see what going on... does your meter have a continuity test? If so, you could check for unwanted contacts that way.

OP
OP
M

mark8796

Reaction score
thanks guys...i traced the looseness to the ignition switch (these are "hot in run" wires...makes sense) and wires on backside/connector side of turn signal lever in steering column. got it workin great now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.