Abbott ERA Install question

Thyme

Reaction score
Just put new gears in my '97 GT, and decided to get ahold of a speedo corrector. Picked up an Abbott ERA and after looking around, the exact way to wire this thing up seems a little unclear to me. Should I be wiring this up where the VSS feeds into the PCM, or directly off of the VSS on the tranny? Transmission in the car is the original T-45 that it came with.

As a side note, anyone know where to get ahold of good wiring diagrams for these cars for cheap/free?

07GtS197

Reaction score
Thank you. Ended up splicing it into the grey/black wire right off of the VSS sensor. Used the radio Accessory power (yellow/black) and grounded it off the 12v power socket. Speedo is dead on now.
Glad you got it figured out.

brian_cf

Reaction score
Thank you. Ended up splicing it into the grey/black wire right off of the VSS sensor. Used the radio Accessory power (yellow/black) and grounded it off the 12v power socket. Speedo is dead on now.
Sorry for replying to a resolved thread - I purchased an Abbott a few days ago for my 98 and I’m a bit unclear on the installation. Did you drill a hole through the floor at the center console like the OP in the linked thread? Did you mount the itself box in the interior of the car?

Thank you

OP
OP
Thyme

Thyme

Reaction score
Sorry for replying to a resolved thread - I purchased an Abbott a few days ago for my 98 and I’m a bit unclear on the installation. Did you drill a hole through the floor at the center console like the OP in the linked thread? Did you mount the itself box in the interior of the car?

Thank you
I tucked the box up under the bezel around the shifter, and ran the wires through the rubber boot and sealed up the hole in it with some clear RTV. No cuts to the chassis needed.

joemomma

Reaction score
Somehow I've never seen this device. The $150 or so pricetag has to be worth more (to me anyway lol) than pulling the trans with the car on jackstands to change the trans gear. So do you run your stock speedo gearing and then just adjust with the device? That seems like a solid solution, rather than continuously chewing up speedo gears.

OP
OP
Thyme

Thyme

Reaction score
Somehow I've never seen this device. The $150 or so pricetag has to be worth more (to me anyway lol) than pulling the trans with the car on jackstands to change the trans gear. So do you run your stock speedo gearing and then just adjust with the device? That seems like a solid solution, rather than continuously chewing up speedo gears.
Yep, exactly how it works. The 23 tooth speedo gear that would go in my car to correct my gear ratio seems to enjoy exploding itself, which turned me onto this device. Using a GPS speedo on my phone and a few passes down a straight road, I got the thing dialed in within about .5 mph.

A note about the install: I'd disconnect the wiring harness that the VSS is part of and pull it into the cab of the car through the shifter cutout when doing your wiring. You'll have to disconnect the rear O2s and pull out a few retaining clips to get it up there. Way more manageable than doing it under the car.

joemomma

Reaction score
Nice. I think mine is a 23T (4.10s) and it lasts all of about 2 weeks before it starts eating itself. I'll look in to getting one of these. LMR seems to have them available.

joemomma

Reaction score
Looping back in to this as I think I'm going to grab one for Christmas. So you just cut the gray/black VSS wire and connect that into the ERA input, then connect the ERA output back to the same VSS wire?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online