ABS Code Help

BillG

Reaction score
Ok guys on what could be the last major hurdle on this 95 Mustang/Cobra Clone. Just figured out how to get codes of ABS port and I'm getting a code 63. Now I have checked the BIG Red 50 amp fuse and looked fine. Checked connector and it looked solid. What am I missing and how can I fix it. Also pulled a 111 code with my $25 OBD 1 reader. That one tells me system ok I guess.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
does the ground on it look good?
Haven't gotten under it to look. Where are the areas I need to look for issues. I just kinda did the feel test and followed the cables to check for solid connections. Once I get info to follow I'll go from there. Hey also where did you get the LED's in that cluster I got from you.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Haven't gotten under it to look. Where are the areas I need to look for issues. I just kinda did the feel test and followed the cables to check for solid connections. Once I get info to follow I'll go from there. Hey also where did you get the LED's in that cluster I got from you.
led cluster?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Oh gosh I got those so many years ago I have no idea where they came from exactly. IIRC they are actually a cool white colored led that with the film on the dash looks blue.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
Oh gosh I got those so many years ago I have no idea where they came from exactly. IIRC they are actually a cool white colored led that with the film on the dash looks blue.
Is there any special wires I need to look at on this ABS module. Gonna crawl under it today and see what I can see.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
Ok guys really need some serious advice on this. I went to my local garage and there are 3 mustang guys there and we got in a discussion about my ABS issue. I flushed the system which really needed to be done. Then the discussion began or replacing the ABS module or unplug it. Now it is unplugged and brakes work fine the serious question I have is do I do the delete or take it back to the garage and have them replace the ABS with the one I got from salvage yard that looks new.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
Do you want abs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can drive without ABS just fine. My wife may drive this car from time to time and that is where I have concerns. She has driven old cars before. If its not a real concern then she can get use to driving it before any serious driving.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
Does NC have inspections? Did you ever check the grounds or wiring going to it?
Yep I checked grounds and went throw the trouble shooting guide the guy from the garage sent me from there data base. All roads stop at replacing unit. So I got one from my Georgia salvage yard and put it in the trunk to take to garage for them to do when AC was checked. I want it to be like stock I guess but if it will drive fine without it and its a part that cant be easily fixed in the future and everyone else has deleted or unplugged I guess I'm asking to get a little more info. Inspection in NC are safety only and I've seen way worse pass up here.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
maybe try disconnecting the battery and see if you can get the code to reset otherwise idunno...
I thank you for all the info so far. completely took out the battery for a couple of days while I routed new ground wire for battery and nothing changed. the guys said they would do the install for like $200 but if it was there car they wouldn't even bother and just do the delete. I guess that's why I was asking the question in here cause you folks are my other expert source of info.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
there are some diagnostics you can try on this page.

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/brakes/absDiagInfo.html

At the minimum I would check for power at the abs module/pump as it says code 63 means its not seeing it at the pump. Replacing the pump will do nothing if it has a simple bad connection. If you do replace the pump it needs to be bench bled before install, or once on the car. To do this you need a special computer that has the ability to do this and a shop that knows how. You can't just install the new pump, fill the system, bleed it and call it a day.....

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
there are some diagnostics you can try on this page.

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/brakes/absDiagInfo.html

At the minimum I would check for power at the abs module/pump as it says code 63 means its not seeing it at the pump. Replacing the pump will do nothing if it has a simple bad connection. If you do replace the pump it needs to be bench bled before install, or once on the car. To do this you need a special computer that has the ability to do this and a shop that knows how. You can't just install the new pump, fill the system, bleed it and call it a day.....
I looked at that very same link in my search and I pulled the 4 pin circular connector and checked the pink with blue stripe and got a solid reading. So I guess that means powers going to the module. I never checked with key on. I looked at the other ABS I got from Georgia and it looked like it wasn’t coming apart easy. I guess I can pull the connection off the module and test for power coming off it. Thanks for info and guidance. I’m finding my way through this thing.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
which side of the harness did you test? The side that is attached to the abs or the side on the body harness? I ask because if you tested before the harness there is still the chance of a bad connection in the harness. I don't think it needs to have 0v all the time but if it flickers it can still give the code, and a bad harness connection can do this. If you can, test on the abs side and then get a little rough with the harness to see if you can make it flicker. Push/pull, twist/turn and don't be afraid to give a good pull. If the connection fails easily then there was probably a problem.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
which side of the harness did you test? The side that is attached to the abs or the side on the body harness? I ask because if you tested before the harness there is still the chance of a bad connection in the harness. I don't think it needs to have 0v all the time but if it flickers it can still give the code, and a bad harness connection can do this. If you can, test on the abs side and then get a little rough with the harness to see if you can make it flicker. Push/pull, twist/turn and don't be afraid to give a good pull. If the connection fails easily then there was probably a problem.

I tested the 4 pin on the at plug coming from panel side not the unit side with key off I believe and was getting power. The 15 pin from unit I got no reading. I may revisit Wednesday on my time off. Just to advance the learning process. Thanks for info. Keep it coming.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online