Absolute STOCK V6, what kind of gas mileage should I be getting?

Gemini

Reaction score
Second fill up on the car and I'm getting 15.3 mpg (city, only had it over 55 a couple of times).
New plugs, wires, coil pack, fuel pump (walbro 255 lph), fuel filter etc.

I have taken the car through the ENTIRE Haynes 60,000 mile tune up and hit every line item.

Seems low but I have no experience with these cars so any insight would be greatly appreciated!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I would think at least 20mpg. Have you tested the maf sensor? Are you sure the injectors spray is clean? Look or should i say listen for vacuum leaks. Be sure air in tires are to recommendation.

Alot of overlooked qualities can add up destroying gas mileage and power.

07GtS197

Reaction score
If I remember correctly from my 3.8 days theyre not very efficient motors. You should probably be getting better fuel mileage but its not going to be much better. And city driving is where you get worse mpg from all the stop and go and little to no overdrive useage.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My gt averaged 25mpg on the highway with a b303 cam and always running pig rich. It was a 5spd with factory rear end gears but there’s no way the v6 should be getting that low of mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Gemini

Reaction score
I cleaned the MAF sensor once trying to chase down a miss (turned out my Coil pack was faulty). Can't hear any vacuum leaks, I have NOT checked the injectors.

Just got home, with a CEL with P0141 Oxygen Sensor heater circuit...

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
My old v6 5 speed was usually around 18-20 for every day driving and closer to 30 with all highway. I've bought cars in the past that didn't do well on the first tank for some reason then evened out over the next couple fillups.

OP
OP
G

Gemini

Reaction score
Giving it a shakedown run from Florida to TX tomorrow... see how it goes

OP
OP
G

Gemini

Reaction score
Made it in just fine. 13 hours of driving without a hickup.
Checked it out and was getting 27 give or take. Very cool.

Thanks guys!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Glad we could help!!

Wait, what did we do again??

OP
OP
G

Gemini

Reaction score
You answered questions, gave me ideas and didn't insult me at all... That's a lot!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hear that boys?!?! We’re all saints!!!!! :)

OP
OP
G

Gemini

Reaction score
Love to, but the car is gone. 21rst birthday present. Left it in Texas :)

Maybe I'll pick up another sn95, I LOVED the car, easy to work on (except the brakes), have a variety to choose from close for less than 2K.

We'll see...

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The brakes are cake. What did you find not to be easy about them?

OP
OP
G

Gemini

Reaction score
Well.... I'm not a mechanic, but it took the fourth person I talked to to inform me that no amount of compression I could possibly muster would EVER get those rear calipers to press back into the housing... That's after the first 3 guys had all but convinced me that I must have 2 stuck calipers. The fact that they wouldn't compress made me completely remove them from the vehicle, leading to a MASSIVE full blown brake line purge and bleed. Once 'Jim' told me I had to rotate the calipers back into place that went fine, but that wasn't until AFTER I had spent most of a Sunday getting to that point.

Then I got to the front set... which were still 'disk brakes' but a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT setup... this led to more downtime and youtube and internet research... did I mention that I'm NOT a mechanic?

I could do them AGAIN in a day but that first time, learning EVERYTHING (including stuff my 82 year old neighbor had never seen) took me 3 days with the car 'down' the entire time.

Hands down the worst experience of anything I did to that car and I did SOMETHING, sometimes just a little thing, every day for 4 months....

OP
OP
G

Gemini

Reaction score
Sorry I asked!!! [emoji38]

Oh, I ain't scared or even mad. It was just the worst part. I learned a lot, my friends learned some things and it was part of the experience.

Won't happen again because now I know better I can tell you THAT! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srchop16

Members online