Advantages of t-56 swap in 01 GT?

fiveohwblow

Reaction score
yea I was kinda hoping to not have to change much... if that isn't realistic than ill just have to live with that and sell what I take off... technically it is my only car but I don't DD at all.. hasn't left the garage in 3 months lol.. I just use my moms car so more of a weekend warrior.. and right now im looking at ALL options... don't plan on making moves if any for a couple months.. got a million different things I want to do... budget I would say is under 5k? lol but just idk... not worried about that part just yet.. just want to know all options

Ok makes sense. A 3550 is commonly accepted by most to do well between 400-500 lb ft of tq although as I previously stated some will argue. It is also a near direct replacement given you acquire a bellhousing with it. That said, you can find complete swaps for around 1k all day. I am always a bit picky about buying used parts, but that should give you an idea. There are also many options for sturdy t5's but I dont not believe any are rated for nearly 500 at the wheels. A tko500 is another option but I have to admit I am not sure about the input shaft spline count.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I thought the 3550 wasn't rated that high? When I was looking for a trans i ran the numbers for Gforce T5, TKO and a T56 and decided the T56 was the best deal for the money. I believe all the Gforce T5/Astro A5 and TKOs use 26 spline input shafts, they are a LOT stronger.

fiveohwblow

Reaction score
I thought the 3550 wasn't rated that high? When I was looking for a trans i ran the numbers for Gforce T5, TKO and a T56 and decided the T56 was the best deal for the money. I believe all the Gforce T5/Astro A5 and TKOs use 26 spline input shafts, they are a LOT stronger.
Thats where I was saying the debate comes in. They arent guaranteed by the manufacturer to hold up to it, but if you read forums and see what guys were running with them they hold up quite nicely. Agreed the GForce and Astro are rumored to be much stronger but I personally dont have any experience with them.

1bad9d5

Reaction score
Ok makes sense. A 3550 is commonly accepted by most to do well between 400-500 lb ft of tq although as I previously stated some will argue. It is also a near direct replacement given you acquire a bellhousing with it. That said, you can find complete swaps for around 1k all day. I am always a bit picky about buying used parts, but that should give you an idea. There are also many options for sturdy t5's but I dont not believe any are rated for nearly 500 at the wheels. A tko500 is another option but I have to admit I am not sure about the input shaft spline count.

yea im a little worried about buying used stuff.. hear so many times people buy used anything and than it turns out to be a piece of junk.... just don't want that happening to me ya know?
3550 and 500 are the 2 most I hear about... but shit I don't know anything about transmissions or anything that comes with it... so when it comes time to buy it.. I know ill need full details on everything lol

fiveohwblow

Reaction score
yea im a little worried about buying used stuff.. hear so many times people buy used anything and than it turns out to be a piece of junk.... just don't want that happening to me ya know?
3550 and 500 are the 2 most I hear about... but shit I don't know anything about transmissions or anything that comes with it... so when it comes time to buy it.. I know ill need full details on everything lol
Thats fair. I would suggest scouring the local boards for people you may know or are only a couple degrees of separation from and see if anyone you might know is selling one. I got a SCREAMING deal on mine and it was the only part on my entire car I bought used and I never regretted it.

1bad9d5

Reaction score
Thats fair. I would suggest scouring the local boards for people you may know or are only a couple degrees of separation from and see if anyone you might know is selling one. I got a SCREAMING deal on mine and it was the only part on my entire car I bought used and I never regretted it.

wow yea you got lucky... I mean im hoping that when its time... that a couple of people I trust on here might have 1 or know somebody who has a tranny for sale.. that would be nice.. even see if anybody has 1 in my club.. but none have SNs so that sucks lol

fiveohwblow

Reaction score
wow yea you got lucky... I mean im hoping that when its time... that a couple of people I trust on here might have 1 or know somebody who has a tranny for sale.. that would be nice.. even see if anybody has 1 in my club.. but none have SNs so that sucks lol

I certainly did although this was for the fox and not an SN. Finding SN 5.0 parts is certainly not nearly as easy. That said, wouldnt you be able to source the trans and then just buy the appropriate bellhousing for an SN? I realize there may be different lengths in shafts so please correct me if wrong....

1bad9d5

Reaction score
I certainly did although this was for the fox and not an SN. Finding SN 5.0 parts is certainly not nearly as easy. That said, wouldnt you be able to source the trans and then just buy the appropriate bellhousing for an SN? I realize there may be different lengths in shafts so please correct me if wrong....

your talking about the trans for the fox going into a SN? I hear of some people doing that and the shafts I think are different lengths... plus somebody mentioned something about a spacer for the driveshaft I think? but yea I need bellhousing from a SN so that way the shifter and clutch isn't out of whack... otherwise 3rd gear slams your hand into the radio if you powershift I hear... but all things ive heard

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
fox and sn95 T5s have different length input shafts, its not much but its enough to need a new bell housing.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
good thread. good thread. :)

the T56 is heavier, stronger, and offers a longer first gear than the t45, PLUS the extra O/D.

Now, putting it in a car with a t45 isnt just "push it in. If it doesnt fit use more spit." -- the T56 uses different wiring harness and reverse is different. You'll need to research on how to by-pass these things.

additionally, you'll need a new cross-member, among other parts :)

1bad9d5

Reaction score
good thread. good thread. :)

the T56 is heavier, stronger, and offers a longer first gear than the t45, PLUS the extra O/D.

Now, putting it in a car with a t45 isnt just "push it in. If it doesnt fit use more spit." -- the T56 uses different wiring harness and reverse is different. You'll need to research on how to by-pass these things.

additionally, you'll need a new cross-member, among other parts :)

yea see if I get a t56.. im hoping somebody can tell me every single thing I need.. cause I wouldn't know sh!t lol

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
it's not cheap, but with a TKO you'll need one anyways.

yea see if I get a t56.. im hoping somebody can tell me every single thing I need.. cause I wouldn't know sh!t lol

i did the swap, i can give you a pretty complete list.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
No matter what I do, I will be staying with my T-45. While the weight difference is only 20lbs from that to a t-56. I know I can lighten it up, plus they come cheaper than the t-56. Plus I know one of the top Tremec builders in the nation.
So any weight I can save is good weight! lol