Air Bags on 95

alwill923

Reaction score
My airbag light would not go out so I tried to troubleshoot. Kept blowing fuse #10. Went through wiring diagram and troubleshooting guide in the ford workshop manual. Took the module out and called ford to see if they had one for sale. They do not support them anymore. They said try a junkyard.

So I sent the module out to company that said they could test and repair. No luck, same problem. I do not think they tested per my call to them. The plug for the module has a plastic piece that when the plug is removed from the module you install this and it cancels the light. I do not know how it works but on startup the light comes on and then goes out. In Virgina cars have to have an annual safety inspection (no sniff where I live) and did not want the light on. Of course the airbags do not work. This does not bother me, just added weight.

Question is, has anyone had this problem and what did they do? Car has not been in an accident, only has the to sensors in the front. Sensors never touched.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
is it blinking or just stuck on? I am not using my module since my dash mounting was bent enough when the pass side went off that the pass side does not fit anymore. Obviously with no module there is no light and I doubt the inspection would notice or you can just tell them its to old for that...

joemomma

Reaction score
If it's blinking, it's a code. You can count the number of flashes and then Google that (or it may be in the service manual). For example, mine flashes 5 times, pauses, flashes twice, then repeats. It will do this a couple times, then it will just stay lit. It's a code for something on the passenger side, I think the seat or belt sensor maybe. I just haven't taken the time to troubleshoot.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I had the same issue on my 98, it’s usually the airbag module itself. As I understand it the airbag module fries itself after the airbags deploy. You can try resetting it but you’ll need a new module.

Michael Fox

Reaction score
Ok my 95 GT has been setting in the garage for sometime. Several months since last time on the street. Today when I fired it up to go to Cars and Coffee, I got a flashing Airbag light code 12. I replaced the fuse, key turned off, and the fuse blow as soon as I put it in the fuse box? I checked the ground seems good. Car is parked with a BatteryTrender connected to battery. Before I start pulling parts and replacing stuff has anyone else had this event?

Mr. Blue

Reaction score
I had a similar problem on my 95 GT. As mentioned above, i also went to Ford to inquire about a replacement air bag control module which is mounted under the dash. They told me they were out of production and the only place to get one was as a used part. I have seen them on eBay and i suppose they are available in junk yards but you never know what you are getting and they are not cheap. I didn't want to deal with the pesky light coming on and staying on so i removed the bulb from the dash cluster. However when you do that you get an audible signal from the air bag control module that sounds all the time. I reinstalled the bulb and taped over the indicator on the interior of the dash cluster. The light is still lit but you cannot see it because it is taped over.
My mustang is not an everyday driver and baiscally only used for pleasure driving so i do not worry about not having operational air bags. At 26 years old i wonder how many vehicles of that age still have operatiing air bags. Operational air bags are not required for vehicle inspection in this state so that is not an issue for me. Sure, i would rather have operating air bags but considering the lack of availability of parts there is no quick and cheap way to fix it. At the age of these vehicles the problem may not only be the control module but could also extend to the air bags themselves or the sensors. No matter how you look at it you are back to parts availability and cost!

joemomma

Reaction score
I have the 5-2 code on mine. I also wonder how effective a 26 year old airbag would be. I've thought (more than once) about removing the whole system.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you suspect its the bag itself, try disconnecting it from the system and see if the err changes or if it stays the same.

OP
OP
A

alwill923

Reaction score
As I said in my original post, when removing the module the plug in the wiring harness had a red plastic device that when inserted in the plug cancelled the light in the dash. It comes on when starting the car and then goes out as it did when everything worked correctly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online