Airbag code and questions..

riored4v

Reaction score
This last weekend I swapped out my old dash and air bags over to some new/used ones of a different color. I also swapped my factory harness over to the new dash.

After getting it all installed I'm getting a code 72:

"72 Intermittent or Repaired Driver Side Air Bag Circuit High Resistance or Open"

What exactly does this code mean? Also, is it one that can be resolved by clearing the code under the dash or does something need to be replaced/fixed?

Thanks!

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, so here's the deal (reading this from my 95 FSM):

A code 72 means that you *did* have an open circuit problem, but may no longer be an issue. At the bottom of this post, I'll put what happened for anyone that is interested.

To clear the code, either use an appropriate scan tool OR do this:
  1. Locate the Diagnostic "Trouble Code Clear" Connector located underneath the glove compartment. It should have two wires, a Tan w/ Red Stripe wire and a Black wire (note this is from a 95 Manual, your wire colors may be different)
  2. Use a jumper wire to short the Tan/Red wire (you can connect it to the black wire in the connector or to any other good ground). IMPORTANT: this must be done AFTER the diagnostic trouble code flashes completely one time, but BEFORE the warning light stays on continuously.
  3. Hold the short in place until air bag diagnostic monitor tone sounds (about 5 seconds)
  4. Remove the short (this MUST be done within 25 seconds of hearing the monitor tone sound)

The code will be cleared from memory. Please note that the next time the diagnostic runs, it may find a different, higher priority code and then store that.

For those that are interested
Here's how you got your code: when the diagnostic ran, it threw a code 32 (Driver Side Air Bag Circuit High Resistance or Open) which means you probably applied power while swapping out the bags, and had the Driver side out. You might not have noticed this code. The Air Bag Diagnostic Module wrote the code, 32, to it's non-volatile RAM (NVRAM - like permanent memory). When the diagnostic ran again, it first looked in NVRAM. It found code 32. It then ran the test for code 32, but did not find the issue still existing. Codes in NVRAM that no longer happen when the diagnostic is ran automatically gets a "40" added to the number before it is flashed out. So, your 32 had 40 added, and thus 72 flashed out. What this means in human speak is: "I saw that you had a problem before with your Driver side air bag, but when I re-ran the test I did not see the problem anymore. It may still be a problem, but right now looks fine."

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks so much for the info!

And yup, I did apply power to the car before I installed the new bag to double check the wire harness was installed correctly. It all seems to make sense to what you're saying. I'll clear the code and hopefully all will be good. Much appreciated!

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks so much for the info!

And yup, I did apply power to the car before I installed the new bag to double check the wire harness was installed correctly. It all seems to make sense to what you're saying. I'll clear the code and hopefully all will be good. Much appreciated!

Sure thing! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online