Alternator issue???

Finale-gt

Reaction score
This morning I was taking my 96 GT for its annual ministry of transport test, half way there the ABS light came on. I pulled over and cycled the ignition and it went out. However when I started the car again, the volt meter was bouncing up and down, the battery light came on and my clock & headlights etc started to flicker with the revs of the motor (which was suddenly a little bit lumpy).

This continued during my mot test, then after about 30mins, it just went normal again, it passed (hooray) then I drove home again with no issues!

I will add actually that I went through some deepish water (slowly though) on my way to the test station, could my alternator be on its way out or did something get wet? Also the indicator light on the battery (new last year) was showing black (meaning it required charging) by the time I got home the indicator light was green (meaning it was fine again).
Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it could have just been the water, it might be something more. Might not be a bad idea to get your alt tested to maybe keep from stranding you if it is going out. could be the battery as well with a bad cell even though its fairly new.

OP
OP
F

Finale-gt

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll keep any eye on it and stay local for a few days!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My alternator acted up when it got wet once.

Then it went bad..........

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Staff online

Members online