an improved battery mount

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am waiting on parts that should be here by the end of the week. While I am waiting I decided to finish another project that started bugging me about a month ago that I noticed when installing my remote charging lugs. I realized my big battery mount could be a problem. with the base welded and mounted down with 4 bolts I am not afraid of lateral movement from regular or even spirited driving, its the two pieces of threaded rod that hold the top down that scare me. If the worst case scenario ever happened and the car is flipped or rolled suddenly a 65lb+ battery only has a few threads on either end of those rods to hold it in place. Worst of all after looking at this pic I realized it was fugly
40958512905_4700a35f3f_c.jpg

AFter some thought I decided to make the mounting strap in to a plate to allow more mounting points and after a little more thought I decided to go with a piece of 1/4" thick, 6" wide piece of cf. I put the aluminum strips on the end to act like a bit washer and polished them just because. I came across the phoenix gold logo recently in a deal and could not help to put it in there. Now the top has 3x as many mounting points and the base has 2x as many. At this point I think you can push the car both on its wheels or its roof by pushing the battery. Much safer and better looking.
42386303272_e30703194c_c.jpg

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
You think the CF is stronger than the plate steel you had holding it before?

It looks good, none the less. I think the polished aluminum really sets it off.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’m sure that’s more than strong enough. Looking damn good sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
You think the CF is stronger than the plate steel you had holding it before?

It looks good, none the less. I think the polished aluminum really sets it off.

I am not a CF expert by any means. I am pretty sure I could stand on either piece and not worry about it giving way. I considered just using a larger steel plate but then I thought it would be heavy as hell and then I would also have to worry about shorting out the battery terminals. CF is slightly conductive but with a good coat of clear on it and some tape on the sides its less of a fear.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That CF is more than strong enough. Probably stronger than what was there before. Looks great Scott!

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am fairly sure the CF is stronger then the strap if just because of the additional mounting points if not for the just its raw strength. Maybe when thomas sees this he can comment more. My only fear with the CF was the corners because while CF is hellaciously strong it can also be a little brittle from being so strong. Where the metal strap might stretch and bend the cf will keep its shape until it snaps. The metal pieces I polished are as much for function of just keeping the 3 rods at the same distance apart and give the CF one more thing to help it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juan4480

Members online