Anti Split Port? lol

RyanCess

Reaction score
Is there no way to make my 98 V6 faster without doing the split port? I ask this because this is my daily driver and I wont be able to have my car out of commission for how ever long it takes be it days or weeks. Also, having no idea what I am doing, I would 9 times out of 10 take it to a shop to have it done and with the labor plus parts I presume that it would be a $1000+ job. I guess this all boils down to is will I be able to make my car any faster without doing the split port or am I reaching for the stars by thinking so?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
m90 swap from a supercoupe will bolt on. Will need to source some parts, but its fairly straight forward, not sure about shop friendly.
You could do a turbo too. No big name kits to my knowledge, probably pretty custom.

The only thing I can think of that would be shop friend is a procharger kit. I think that's around 4k just for the kit.

Honestly, for a beginner it would probably make more sense to sell the car and buy a GT?

OP
OP
R

RyanCess

Reaction score
Or I guess a better question is is how far can I get with basics like headers, exhaust, intake, throttle body, and things of the like?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The thundercoupe used a 3.8v6 with a m90 supercharger. It basically bolts right on to any other 3.8 single port v6. Do a google search.

Bolt ons wouldnt make a significant difference.
Headers - pointless unless you go longtube. Factory headers are okay.
exhaust - will help but won't be a huge difference
intake- I'm assuming you're taking about a cold air intake. Won't make really any difference, factory one isn't horrible.
throttle body - not much difference.

If you're going to go past basic bolt ons then you'd be really silly if you didnt split port swap while you're in there.

Really, there will only be a decent difference if you do:
A) Split Port Swap
B) Boost
C) All of the above

RichV

Reaction score
Nitrous gets it done too. :)

Of course, like they say:

CHEAP-FAST-RELIABLE , pick 2.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I miss my supercoupes......... :-(

The one that burnt to the ground had a stage 3 motor from Coy Miller with a magnum powers custom ported blower and magnum powers high hat. Full custom exhaust, custom fmic setup, tons of suspension and brake upgrades.

Put down 504/559 and was a beast when we built it and it lasted 2 weeks after completion before the power steering hose snapped and sprayed fluid on the headers and started the fire

I still can remember exactly how she looked burning and the horrible smell.........

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Witzy0070

Reaction score
I miss my supercoupes......... :-(

The one that burnt to the ground had a stage 3 motor from Coy Miller with a magnum powers custom ported blower and magnum powers high hat. Full custom exhaust, custom fmic setup, tons of suspension and brake upgrades.

Put down 504/559 and was a beast when we built it and it lasted 2 weeks after completion before the power steering hose snapped and sprayed fluid on the headers and started the fire

I still can remember exactly how she looked burning and the horrible smell.........

And now I always carry a fire extinguisher in all my fast cars.

lol

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
We are gonna need more info on said supercoupe. 500+ hp is respectable from an old v6. How'd you do it?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
We are gonna need more info on said supercoupe. 500+ hp is respectable from an old v6. How'd you do it?

Actually if you do a search you can find guys that pushed well beyond 600-700 out of those motors.

I don't have all the specs as I bought the setup complete from coy. It's the setup that came out of his car before he dropped in the motor that pushed him into 9 second runs. He had ran low to mid 10's with the setup I bought.

I was running 23lbs of boost. Stock those cars ran 12lbs and made 220/330 hp/tq

A lot of people discredit those cars for being so large and heavy and saying the motors were junk but that's mainly cause they were notorious for head gasket issues. A good set of aftermarket heads fixed that tho.

Do a search on coy Miller and see what you find. He's based out of virginia

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't think there were any aftermarket heads? I thought it was only ported heads. Either way studding is the real answer to the head gaskets and watching temps.

To answer the OP, you would basically need to find someone parting out a Thunderbird Super Coupe. As mentioned, it was a 3.8 based supercharged motor. The super charger bolts right to the top and would probably net you somewhere in the 200 - 230 whp range in stock form.

Short of doing that, as I have already told you a few times before, your cheapest option to pick up an extra 50 horse is the split port swap.

A throttle body - nothing
Exhaust - long tubes will kill your bottom end, precisely where you need all your power, so essentially you would make the car slower.
Cold air - will do nothing.

If you look up how to do a head swap, and watch a few videos, the car would be down for a weekend maybe. I have done a head swap in a day, but I know just starting out it would have probably taken me 2 or 3. It's seriously just a bunch of bolts. Don't let it scare you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online