Anybody tried these headers?

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
So I was looking at these too for my current project, eBay add says cobra and gt.... Messaged speeddaddy he said go off the compatibility tool... Tool says it fits both

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Some useless info here. Both gt and cobra use the exact same exhaust flange bolt pattern. Yes, gt exhaust manifolds/headers will physically bolt to cobra head and vise versa. Although the primaries and head exhaust ports will not match. Useless info

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Some useless info here. Both gt and cobra use the exact same exhaust flange bolt pattern. Yes, gt exhaust manifolds/headers will physically bolt to cobra head and vise versa. Although the primaries and head exhaust ports will not match. Useless info

Not useless. I was wondering the same thing myself - why do some companies say their headers fits both 2v and 4v, others don't. If the header primaries are smaller than the exhaust port, that would hurt flow, right?

HawkX66

Reaction score
Not useless. I was wondering the same thing myself - why do some companies say their headers fits both 2v and 4v, others don't. If the header primaries are smaller than the exhaust port, that would hurt flow, right?
That's right. Ideally you want them to match the exhaust port, but a little bigger is ok. Too big and you'll lose low end torque. There are calculators like this: http://www.wallaceracing.com/header_length.php There's others that don't take into account VE which most guys don't know.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Properly made cobra headers will have a squeezed oval primary entry shape. Im not entirely sure if the primary tube size is the same for both applications, but I do know a cobra oval exhaust port will not work with gt header flange primary, nor will a true cobra oval header flange primary work on a gt exhaust port.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
So setting back thinking about it, its quite possible the header flange is thick enough on them cheaper headers to allow for transition porting. This way the company can reproduce the exact header for both applications, but pay attention to the details of a cobra exhaust port by transition port the flange. Cause real true cobra headers with squeeze ovel primaries are at least $200 more for the set over gt headers.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Pretty much the last straw in my project..... Selling crap and going coyote...,

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

HawkX66

Reaction score
So setting back thinking about it, its quite possible the header flange is thick enough on them cheaper headers to allow for transition porting. This way the company can reproduce the exact header for both applications, but pay attention to the details of a cobra exhaust port by transition port the flange. Cause real true cobra headers with squeeze ovel primaries are at least $200 more for the set over gt headers.
I don't know jack about the Cobra exhaust ports other than they're oval, but assuming they're in the same location, the round port GT headers will work. They just won't be as efficient because it's a circle, not an oval. I suspect the diameter of the pipe is the same, just squished at the flange. Going the other way, the Cobra squished header would be real bad for the GT because it will cause a major restriction initially. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
W would always gasket match my intake to my heads and the heads to my exhaust on my old Mopars. If the intake port on the head was smaller than the port on the manifold, it would block flow. Not just because the port was smaller, but the air from the intake hitting the exposed edges of the too-small port on the head would cause it to back up and disrupt the smooth flow. That's the theory I was taught, anyway.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
So the real test for these headers will come very soon, when I find out if they will clear an automatic transmission.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online