anyone use an oil cooler?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
so just curious if anyone has used one of these? If not I assume they are not worth the trouble but I can't help but think it would not hurt and it might help.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
They help alot! Especially when the engine is streesed hard, but at low rpm. Extends oil life as well. I use to be deep into crown victorias. Cop cars and state vehicles all had oil coolers. These things got auctioned off with well over 200k miles, nearly 300k miles and still ran top condition, clear oil. If I were increasing combustion temperature, I would want the oil cool as possible. The oil aids in wicking heat off the pistons. Ill be adding one!

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
hnmmmmm. I kinda figured that would be the case and have been looking at some. Would you go with one that automatically diverts it into the cooler or one with a the thermostat?

RichV

Reaction score
Yes. In cooler weather you don't want the oil to stay thick.

My oil in races is 270-300*, I do not run a cooler. Probably should, it helps keep the engine temps down as well.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have been kicking it around. Anyone have any pics of one mounted? I assume it just goes up in front of the rad but never looked so if anyone had a pic it would help to see it all.

Anyone else interested to try a group buy?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Well after taking all the good and bad points into account I am going to go through with it. Now I just need to figure out what size/brand or who.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
so after checking out the different brands and sizes and the different options it seems like an easy and cheap enough to not have this on. From what I have read it can knock temps down anywhere from 20-35 degrees. I also noticed that mishimoto has a kit for the 93 and for a 96 but never had it for the cool cars, ya know the 94-95. The kit for the 93 even looks like it would work. I willd also do a write up on it to show it but it should not need much.

This will be my next project after finishing the CF covers for the gas tank either before or after the paint depending on temp.

If anyone is interrested in a group buy say so and maybe we can set it up. The kits start off at $200 but after that depending on the thermostatic pieces and such it can add another $100.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
roadapter.jpg

Should be something like this.. Just like the 4.6

RichV

Reaction score
Mustang SVO had a similar one.
94371d1269743786-1984-mustang-svo-oil-cooler-block-longblock1-1.jpg

The good setups have some sort of heat air exchanger and a built in thermostatic valve.
oilcooler2.jpg

You can mount them in various places, before radiator being the best. I'll probably put mine back in with this new motor I'm building.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
roadapter.jpg

Should be something like this.. Just like the 4.6
I am not really all that worried about the sandwich plate just curious if they set the cooler up in front of the radiator or if there was a different and better place.

The kits look nice and complete but they also seem to be maybe approx $50 more then if you got them one at a time. I would like to continue using the same style -10an fittings I am using on top of the motor fittings. Do I need a special type in dealing with oil or are the standard type ok?

I am def going with the thermostatic option, are there any concerns I need to be aware of other then routing the lines through the control arms or other crap?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online