Anyone used an ODB2 Performance Chip?

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been thinking of ways to try and get a bit more oomph out of the engine - don't need it, but the birthday is approaching in a few weeks and there's always time to treat oneself...

I came across some plug-in chips that go into the ODB2 reader port that claim to monitor your driving and make adjustments on the fly so, over time, you get a bit more HP, fuel economy and torque. Supposedly doesn't affect anything else or cause damage and if you unplug it, all is back to how it used to be.

Has anyone used these before? Are they as good as they make out as, for less than $40 a change like that is a good investment, or are they just a waste of money?

If they are a success, does anyone have a recommendation of one to go for?

Thanks in advance for any pointers, positive or negative.

Regards

TMW

07GtS197

Reaction score
They literally don’t do anything, save up for a real tuner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
I had a feeling that would be the case.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts...

Regards

TMW

tvsn95

Reaction score
having tuned several turbo and supercharged Fox's. let me assure you that the factory tune is VERY GOOD, now if you are making big changes then hook up with a REAL TUNER, not mail order garbage. I will recommend Adam @ Popsracing. (look him up ) Hell he is one of if not the only guy who reverse engineers the Ford EEC. He teaches most of the Ford tuners in the country. Warning, he is from NY so his patience ain't southern if ya know what I mean. He is great and I use him on all final tunes and he does not break stuff,....you can't say that for MOST.

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
I've done a bit more reading on the things and clearly they do eff all.

Being in the UK, the NY guy could be a bit tricky to get to :)

Regards

TMW

tvsn95

Reaction score
Look him up, he does a lot over the internet live.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
there are plenty of places that do email tunes and are pretty good at it. To really do it right you need to have an AFR gauge and the ability to data log but you can still get it nice and close with out a dyno session. I will always say that a good dyno tune is the best option but I have done remote tuning with my system and someone that knows what they are doing. In that I connect my pc(holley hp ecu) and then grant him access to my pc while we are on the phone

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.