Applying Clear Coat

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
what is the clear and spray attachment for $10?

I havent decided on anything just yet, as i havent finished doing my research but here are a few things

12 oz rustoleum can of gloss clear is $3.87 They also have "Flat Matte Clear" if that matters

Amazon has the spray gun attachment for $5.39

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
what is the clear and spray attachment for $10?

I believe this is just an attachment to the can so the can will operate with a trigger.
I have one also and it does help when using the rattle can over a long period.

I've also had success with Duplicolor rattlecans. I've had to fix a few spots where the clear flaked off and where the paint flaked off
too. It came out pretty damn good too. It would be hard for 75% of the people out there to tell. It's been on for 3+ years and it's holding up great. I've also rattle canned my Steeda wing to match the car too.

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
are you wanting a satin/matte finish on the car? I thought you were going for a glossy look....

No no not at all. Sorry for the confusion. Def glossy. Saw this in my searches and figured i would throw the name in here for the hell of it. Im guessing this Satin clear is more of a flat sealant?

I believe this is just an attachment to the can so the can will operate with a trigger.
I have one also and it does help when using the rattle can over a long period.

I've also had success with Duplicolor rattlecans. I've had to fix a few spots where the clear flaked off and where the paint flaked off
too. It came out pretty damn good too. It would be hard for 75% of the people out there to tell. It's been on for 3+ years and it's holding up great. I've also rattle canned my Steeda wing to match the car too.

Glad to hear man! That gives me hope.

The price for the clear ranges from 3 and change, to $16. Averaging $6 a can.

Ive found a non name brand trigger for 4-5 bucks. Or the 3m trigger for $7.

I will use Dupli-color since a few on here has had success with this brand.

Here is a can from amazon for 8 bucks http://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-BCL0125-Clear-Exact-Match-Automotive/dp/B00407NK6A

$7 3m Spray trigger http://www.amazon.com/3M-90201-Pain...=1442065349&sr=1-1&keywords=spray+can+trigger

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'm going to guess that you're going to need at least 6 cans minium.
1 can per coat per panel. 2 full coats total.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
where are you going to do this at? I ask because you will need to give some though to find a place that has great ventilation as well as being as clean and dust/bug free as possible. I say the bug part because its amazing how much they love the smell of primer/paint....

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
where are you going to do this at? I ask because you will need to give some though to find a place that has great ventilation as well as being as clean and dust/bug free as possible. I say the bug part because its amazing how much they love the smell of primer/paint....

Also needs to be warm and dry.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Thanks, i am going to make sure to be in a garage on a nice day with proper ventilation and a mask. Ill be sure it is as sanitary as can be. Good to know about the bugs being attracted to the clear. I have seen bugs go absolutely nuts over the smell of detail materials

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the last time I primed my car I was amazed to find a mosquito on the part as though it was trying to get blood. Part of me wanted to just wait and watch it either slowly die, or possibly become some huge mutant that would carry me off rather then suck my blood but the painter in me made me picked it off. Keep a pair of tweezers nearby when you do it to make it easy. The hood is only held on with 4 bolts and it can be difficult to reach the middle and the back when on the car. I have mine hanging from my garage door rail for painting. To make it easier to line up when its finished prior to taking it off I drilled 2 holes through each sides mount and hood that was just big enough to fit some nails through That I found in my garage, and marked with some masking tape to ensure they are not used. Now when I put the hood on I just leave the bolts a little loose, insert the nails and then tighten it down and I am %95 of the way to getting it aligned. I normally need to make one more adjustment to get it perfect but one adjustment to get the hood perfect is good work.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I have found heating the paint cans up in front of a space heater really helps with coating. You visually see the paint touch the surface and spread. Ive never done clear coat, but image the same principle applies.

I did this with my E350. I painted in between the back windows to have a solid looking glass. Did it 5yrs ago, still looks great! $.99 cans from walmart

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
ddc785c70b876ba1c0d57003d06eca5c.jpg

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
the last time I primed my car I was amazed to find a mosquito on the part as though it was trying to get blood. Part of me wanted to just wait and watch it either slowly die, or possibly become some huge mutant that would carry me off rather then suck my blood but the painter in me made me picked it off. Keep a pair of tweezers nearby when you do it to make it easy. The hood is only held on with 4 bolts and it can be difficult to reach the middle and the back when on the car. I have mine hanging from my garage door rail for painting. To make it easier to line up when its finished prior to taking it off I drilled 2 holes through each sides mount and hood that was just big enough to fit some nails through That I found in my garage, and marked with some masking tape to ensure they are not used. Now when I put the hood on I just leave the bolts a little loose, insert the nails and then tighten it down and I am %95 of the way to getting it aligned. I normally need to make one more adjustment to get it perfect but one adjustment to get the hood perfect is good work.

LOL!!!! I would of thought the exact same thing thats hilarious!!

Very interesting approach with the hood. I would have placed it on a table. I like your way better. Guess ill have to find a place to mount it!

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score

I have found heating the paint cans up in front of a space heater really helps with coating. You visually see the paint touch the surface and spread. Ive never done clear coat, but image the same principle applies.

I did this with my E350. I painted in between the back windows to have a solid looking glass. Did it 5yrs ago, still looks great! $.99 cans from walmart

Broo That looks great! When was this photo taken?

Very interesting trick, ive never heard of this nor seen it done. Very cool!

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Update,

Decided to buy a paint gun in the near future rather then just clearcoating it. After settling into the new home i will be doing all new paint and clear on the 97 myself with a paint gun learning about painting in the process. Perhaps also a junkyard v8 swap while its getting painted.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
most expensive part of a gun is the compressor filter/dryer system. I went with a Devilbiss set of guns/filter/dryer after I got a great deal on a used craftsman 60 gal 6 hp compressor.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You can't just spray clear on. Not only will there be lines everywhere from where the old clearcoat ends, but with bare basecoat by the time you're done prepping it (the right way) you'll have gone through in plenty of areas and need to cover/blend color back in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online