auto -> manual swap, PCM issues, need suggestions

ben37

Reaction score
Hey guys! New guy here. Finally decided to get an account and post, instead of reading only ;)

I did a budget junkyard swap from my 4R70W to a T5, drives fine!
(it's a 2003 V6)

Now I'm having to get rid of my service engine soon light to pass inspection in a couple months. Obviously my PCM is complaining that the automatic transmission doesn't exist anymore. Already got the reverse lights wired up though.

Now - anyone ideas on how I can get that for as cheap as possible?
Options I have considered so far:

1. - of course I can get a PCM, have it reprogrammed, and relearn the PATS (need to get a second key though) - that's expensive though.
2. - get a PCM from a 2003 manual v6, with key and key cylinder so I don't have to reprogram PATS (does that actually work? or is that not an option? what's the key programmed to, the PCM or the PATS receiver? they're hard to find though)
3. - find someone to delete my PATS and flash a manual program into my ECU. They keep asking me for a VIN, but obviously, if I give them my VIN, I'll just get another automatic program flashed. Can I "find" a manual VIN and provide it? Or are there any strings attached?
4. - is there a way to "trick" the PCM into thinking the transmission is still there? I do have the trans sitting here. Could I rip out the relays and electronics and just have them dangling on the harness? What issues could that bring? Would still leave me with a speedometer that reads double.

I live in DFW area, TX, if anyone can suggest local shops or people that could help me out.
Any input appreciated. Thanks guys!

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
The easiest and probably cheapest way to do it is to get a tune. You can get a handheld (sct is what most people use) and get a tuning company to load a tune in it with the automatic transmission functions turned off. You don’t need to be local to anyone for it, it can all be done through emails.

OP
OP
ben37

ben37

Reaction score
Ok that sounds like a solution. Who would write such a tune for me?

OP
OP
ben37

ben37

Reaction score
Just to follow up on this and conclude this topic for future reference:

The ECU in my car is capable of running the fbgi0 strategy. I bought the Moates Quarterhorse (yes it's expensive but it's worth it) and am now running the fbgi0 strategy. There is a thread over at efidynotuning.com that has my progress on it and bins that run on a 2003 v6 Mustang with a manual transmission.

Yes, you could get away with a chip and a chip programmer, but you're still looking at $85 for the chip and $85 for the programmer, and at that point you might as well shell out the $250 for the quarterhorse and get datalogging capabilities. You HAVE to adjust stuff like dashpot to your preference and cranking fuel for your engine, etc. And it's a lot of fun too.
fbgi0 strategy + xdf + adx is available for free for Tuner Pro (also free). So you really only need the hardware.

If you're doing a manual swap on a budget, this is the way to go. I swapped my transmission for <$1000. Even if they would have charged me the right amount at the pick'n'pull :D

My car runs perfectly fine on this strategy. Yes, the synchros are...mediocre at best. BUT - it's a stick now and it's way more fun to drive. Totally worth it.
That is, except from the engine issue that I am having right now, but that is an independent problem.

Here are my threads over at efidynotuning.com:
http://forum.efidynotuning.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3670
http://forum.efidynotuning.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3683

Luc06

Reaction score
Hey guys! New guy here. Finally decided to get an account and post, instead of reading only ;)

I did a budget junkyard swap from my 4R70W to a T5, drives fine!
(it's a 2003 V6)

Now I'm having to get rid of my service engine soon light to pass inspection in a couple months. Obviously my PCM is complaining that the automatic transmission doesn't exist anymore. Already got the reverse lights wired up though.

Now - anyone ideas on how I can get that for as cheap as possible?
Options I have considered so far:

1. - of course I can get a PCM, have it reprogrammed, and relearn the PATS (need to get a second key though) - that's expensive though.
2. - get a PCM from a 2003 manual v6, with key and key cylinder so I don't have to reprogram PATS (does that actually work? or is that not an option? what's the key programmed to, the PCM or the PATS receiver? they're hard to find though)
3. - find someone to delete my PATS and flash a manual program into my ECU. They keep asking me for a VIN, but obviously, if I give them my VIN, I'll just get another automatic program flashed. Can I "find" a manual VIN and provide it? Or are there any strings attached?
4. - is there a way to "trick" the PCM into thinking the transmission is still there? I do have the trans sitting here. Could I rip out the relays and electronics and just have them dangling on the harness? What issues could that bring? Would still leave me with a speedometer that reads double.

I live in DFW area, TX, if anyone can suggest local shops or people that could help me out.
Any input appreciated. Thanks guys!
I’m doing a manual swap rn, and I’m done but i can’t get mine to start. There’s crank but no sound or signs of fuel pump functioning. What can I do? How’d you get yours to start?

ctandc

Reaction score
Remember the neutral safety switch - not sure on SN95 - but if it doesn't 'see' the shifter in Park etc it won't start.

KJ-00-GT

Reaction score
I don't live in a state the does inspection, so is it that they see the check engine light is on or do they plug into the OBDII port to see trouble codes? If it's just a visual thing to pass inspection couldn't you just pull the gauges out and remove that bulb or black tape over it?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online