Automatic radiator as oil cooler

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by eksplosivejoe13, Apr 4, 2014.

1. eksplosivejoe13

eksplosivejoe13 Member

So I read that radiators for automatic mustang have a built in transmission fluid cooler, and manual mustang radiators dont. If I put a radiator for an automatic mustang into my manual mustang, could it route the oil to the radiator and use it as an oil cooler?

If so, what might be some downsides to this?

2. rz5.0

rz5.0 Legend

If I remember right all stock radiator have the trans cooler built it the manual cars just have plugs. .

Enviado usando mi SHP-L710 usando TapaTalk

3. CC'S95GT

CC'S95GT Legend

I don't really see a down side.
    My 99 suburban has a trans cooler and an oil cooler both in the Rad.

4. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

I cant see a down side either, but does that put the oil lines to the passenger side?

5. CC'S95GT

CC'S95GT Legend

I would assume.
    What is the normal oil operating temp? Coolant is typically in the 200 degree range.

You would also have to find a way to get it out of the block. I think there is a kit you put between your oil filter and the block that allowes you to run an oil cooler. And the 5.0 cobra's came with oil coolers too.

6. ttocs

ttocs Legend

My parts car is a automatic and has it and I wondered the same thing a while back. With its location on the drivers side it should not be too hard to run some lines up to it and back too the filter. If there is a kit to do this at the filter it should not be too hard.

7. Pete@FTR

[email protected] Active Member Preferred Vendor

Why not just run a seperate oil cooler? Mishimoto makes a plate that goes in between the filter and the block where you can put pipe or AN thread on there to your oil cooler

Sent from Tapatalk for iPhone

8. RichV

RichV Well-Known Member

I wouldn't do it. Can the radiator handle the pressure of engine oil? It's designed for tranny oil.

You can potentially shell a motor. What makes you think you need a oil cooler?

9. qwikcobra

qwikcobra New Member

I run my PS fluid through the rad/trans cooler works fine. The coolant temp is around 130 on that end of the radiator normally. I would run a seperate cooler for oil it would be more effective

10. Stanimal

Stanimal Member

There are positives and negatives. My Ram SRT-10 has a factory water/oil cooler. In the winter it helps bring the oil temp up faster, but in the summer sitting in traffic it makes the oil run the same temp as coolant. Going down the road I am around 165 degrees oil and 190 water, in traffic I am at 210 water 210 oil. My mustang runs at 185 oil and 210 water in traffic, with no cooler.