Axle back section

Finale-gt

Reaction score
I've noticed that the pipe work on my exhausts has holes in on both sides, on the bends, rear of the axle.

My exhaust comes from the cats, over the rear axles, then there is a flange either side, then a short section out the back with finisher tips screwed on (no back boxes) Is this normal because all of the aftermarket exhausts I have seen on the internet are either 1 piece maybe?? or slide or slot together.

I suppose what I'm asking is, can I buy just the axle back part with flanges on, or will it be a custom job at my local exhaust place (Powerflow) ??

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I'm assuming the "back boxes" you're referring to are mufflers...?

Also, it sounds like that's definitely a custom job. You're gonna want to check the entire exhaust to see if it's all pieced together like that. If it's just the axle back section I'm sure any aftermarket axle back should bolt right up in there but I could be wrong.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Some aftermarket exhaust systems have flanges after the axle. Most don't though
IMO it's done to get the exhaust system into a smaller box and make shipping cheaper. And possible to give you options on exaust tip size and design ie: slash, straight, rolled blah blah blah.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Sounds like you just need tailpipes if i'm understanding you correctly. The tailpipes go from the mufflers (middle of car) all the way over the rear axle and out the back bumper. Americanmuscle.com has SR performance 2.5" stainless steel tailpipes. I have them on my car and they're great, recommend em.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Sounds like you just need tailpipes if i'm understanding you correctly. The tailpipes go from the mufflers (middle of car) all the way over the rear axle and out the back bumper. Americanmuscle.com has SR performance 2.5" stainless steel tailpipes. I have them on my car and they're great, recommend em.

The CAT BACK goes from the cats (middle of the car) to the back of the car.
The tail pipes are just that. the part of the cat back that's at the tail of the car and is seen

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
The CAT BACK goes from the cats (middle of the car) to the back of the car.
The tail pipes are just that. the part of the cat back that's at the tail of the car and is seen

I know lol. Well the way my exhaust is, had mac pro dumps but I added tails. So i have a custom catback i guess you could say lol. Guess i was a little confused with the way he worded his op.

OP
OP
F

Finale-gt

Reaction score
Ok I'll try to make this easier. My exhaust from catback is in 2 pieces (each side)!

It doesn't go from the cats to the tips. It also has joints after the rear axle. (2 bolt flanges).

This is the section I need.

OP
OP
F

Finale-gt

Reaction score

I've just had a look at the tailpipes you mentioned. Would work for me but I would have to cut my exhaust as my tailpipes join rearward of the axle, where yours joins in front of the axle and pass over the top. Thanks. I'll go to Powerflow and get them to knock me something up.

I'm not sure on what tips to use. I notice a lot of you guys have slash cut but, as my car is Jap spec and I'm in the UK, I think that maybe 3.5 or 4" inwardly rolled tips would be more suitable.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I've just had a look at the tailpipes you mentioned. Would work for me but I would have to cut my exhaust as my tailpipes join rearward of the axle, where yours joins in front of the axle and pass over the top. Thanks. I'll go to Powerflow and get them to knock me something up.

I'm not sure on what tips to use. I notice a lot of you guys have slash cut but, as my car is Jap spec and I'm in the UK, I think that maybe 3.5 or 4" inwardly rolled tips would be more suitable.

What ever works for you, works for you lol. If they can fix it for a good price and your happy with it, thats all that matters. A lot of us run slash cut tips, but then a lot run rolled tips in 3.5'' or 4'' from brands like magnaflow, mac, SLP etc.

OP
OP
F

Finale-gt

Reaction score
Pictures would help clear up what exactly you're talking about...

The cars not here at the moment or else I would have taken a pic, but it ain't rocket science lol. Just sounds like mine has been cobbled together ;-)

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I've never seen an exhaust system on an SN with the crossover behind the axle.
I'm surprised there's enough room there.

OP
OP
F

Finale-gt

Reaction score
The crossover isn't behind the axle! No one said that :rolleyes:

Basically the tailpipes are separate pieces. I think we'd better ditch this thread :D

OP
OP
F

Finale-gt

Reaction score
Getting my tailpipes replaced this morning I'll post a piccy after.

OP
OP
F

Finale-gt

Reaction score
image_zps103bd81d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

OP
OP
F

Finale-gt

Reaction score
Next job will be to put the rear fog light on a bracket so I can fold it up behind the bumper, it's spoiling the whole back end!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican

Members online