Bad transmission

stang80s

Reaction score
So I have a blown 4r70w on my 2000 gt and I bought a 2004 4r75e with supposedly 40k miles on it. I am almost done installing it and got to the point where i put the driveshaft in, So I decided to turn the driveshaft while tranny is in neutral (3 clicks from Left to Right) and driveshaft does not want to turn, I have tried to put the manual lever in all positions and still no turning of driveshaft. Am I missing something here? I did by another 4r70w with higher miles which is sitting on the table and decided to put the driveshaft in and it spins with no issues. I feel like the 4r75e is toast.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Did you make sure the torque converter was all the way seated before installing the transmission?

I don’t know how mechanical you are, or how experienced you are with transmissions, but the transmission should go all the way against the engine without using bolts to draw it in. If you do use a bolt, only turn it with a wrench. When the transmission is fully seated, the converter should have a small gap between it and the flywheel. I’m wondering if it’s not seated and is binding the input shaft.

OP
OP
S

stang80s

Reaction score
The torque converter did go in 2 steps in. Before I removed to drain it I used a caliper to measure the distance away from the bellhousing. I did rotate the engine a couple times by hand while checking if the driveshaft moved and nothing happened plus moved the mechanical linkage on the tranny as well (Did remove the inspection cover and saw torque converter turning).

OP
OP
S

stang80s

Reaction score
I will drop the tranny this weekend and see if it will turn the driveshaft. Then I will know for sure if its junk at least i know the other 4r70w i have spins and will just use that.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Is the driveshaft hard to go in? Like it might be too tight in the tail shaft bushing? You could pull that driveshaft and maybe grab the output shaft with a set of channel locks and try to spin it.

OP
OP
S

stang80s

Reaction score
Update: I dropped the tranny removed the torque converter and still cannot spin the driveshaft in any manually selected gear.

Lessons Learned: Bring a spare yoke end while testing a used tranny. Although not 100 percent proof a used tranny is good but at least you will know it is not locked up solid.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online