transmission issue. 4r70w

mustang1996gt

Reaction score
HI everyone,

got a 96 GT convertible, I thought I'd share my experience, maybe it would help someone with a similar problem.

transmission issue. 4r70w

Initial feeling that the car was stuck in 1st gear. I found out later that it was stuck in 2nd and never shifted into 1st or any gear passed 2nd. I was able to drive it around town get groceries under 25mph at around 2k rpm with no problems. Manually shifting the auto shifter into "P", "R" neutral and 2nd would work but nothing shifted past 2nd while on "D". I went to two transmission shops and one mechanic identified the problem. The shifter did not correspond to what the transmission sees.

Solution:

mechanic advised to try to change the "Neutral safety switch" or manual lever position sensor (MLPS) or sometimes called neutral/backup switch or any variation of those words. Its a $70 part that tells transmission the position of your shift lever and what you intend to do. The sensor was interrupting that communication. Since mustangs 4r70w is a common transmission in the 90s shared by a lot of different cars, the parts are available and not expensive. The sensor has to be replaced while in neutral. We switched the sensor and now the car has been shifting past 2nd gear for about 250miles or so.

anyways, thx for the forums and all your help it's nice to have almost as if a historical record of problems and fixes

I Hope this info helps someone out with a similar problem I had,

Cheers!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online