Baseline runs for the '98 3.8L/5spd

28HopUp

Reaction score
While Jack was in school Friday (he didn't want to miss wheel-time in Driver's Ed that day), I took our project car to a private track rental at Maryland International Raceway. Even though I had the slowest car out there, I was grinning ear-to-ear by the time I went through the traps. This was the first time that car has been to the track. Keep in mind the car is basically stock, except for the 3.90:1 GT rear, duals (which add nothing), and some suspension goodies. Here's a cruddy cell-phone shot while in the staging lanes -

98atRTJ5-vi.jpg

The rear rims are new, which I bought from another racer at the event (planned ahead of time). The wheels are S197 17x8" silver Bullitts, shod with 325/45R17 M&H drag radials. They have a diameter of 28", which is a TALL tire, so I figure this combination has a corrected gear ratio of 3.65:1. The wider 2000 GT rear-end, combined with the offset of the S197 wheels, placed the DR's perfectly in the wheelwells.

I shaved 4/10ths over the course of the day, having made 8 passes total. I ended up with a best of:

60'... 2.158
1/8.. 10.302 @ 67.56mph
1/4.. 16.208 @ 83.44mph

I'll admit to having trouble working the pedals to do a proper burnout, as I kept rolling up to the line or killing it entirely. At the line I was actually spinning the DR's. So line-locks will allow me to heat up those DR's and lower my 60' time (a 60' of 1.95x would have certainly put the car into the 15's!). I changed my shift points during the day, but generally I was shifting around 4800. My final time down the track was a 16.232, so I was able to back-up my super impressive runs. :p I could scan my slips, but I don't think anyone is going to challenge my times on the internet.

Here are some more pictures I got this morning from another attendee. The first one was taken while in the right lane, which was the street tire lane. The second picture was taken later in the day while sporting the new DR's.

98atMIR01-vi.jpg

98atMIR02-vi.jpg

At least we have a baseline before tearing into the motor this winter (worked split-port heads, cam, and Windstar swap).

Doc_G

Reaction score
That's a bit better than my first v6 ran in the 1/8th. Mine was auto-tragic though (not to mention single port :D) w/17" 2k1 cobra's on 245/45/17 Kumo Extas.

Depending on how much you are looking to put into the sixxer, I can give you some information on installing a terminator blower on top of that thing to REALLY make it fun. I did the m90 swap on mine, and I can tell you from first hand experience the car became a TON of fun.

Surprised a few folks too. With the differences between the two blowers, I can only imagine what the car would be like afterwards.
:D

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Nice, not too bad for a single port.

I see you have got some plans to do split port heads, cam and windstar intake, but what is your overall goal for this car?

I understand you probably dont want to make it too fast since your son is gonna drive it.

If you do the split port, cam, and windstar intake you should be able to do 14s.

Doc_G

Reaction score

I see you have got some plans to do split port heads, cam and windstar intake, but what is your overall goal for this car?

I understand you probably dont want to make it too fast since your son is gonna drive it.

If you do the split port, cam, and windstar intake you should be able to do 14s.

94-95 single port

96+ split port.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
lol, you're right. Not sure what I was thinking. Brainfart I guess. I'll just go over here ~~~~~~> and sit w/the pointy cap on.:p

haha, its all good. We all have them.

I was just gonna say he should look into what your saying...

A blower on top of that motor would do a lot more good than the NA mods will ever do

OP
OP

28HopUp

Reaction score

Thanks Justin! Like you said, I don't want the car to make too much power til Jack has more experience behind the wheel. We could have gotten a GT (5.0L or 4.6L), but opted for the six instead. I've always enjoyed the underdog mentality, so I know the fun of surprising owners of "faster" cars with what a V6 can do. My 2006 N/A 4.0L was fun in the 1/8th mile

gootc5.jpg

...and here's my slip for the above run

14312.jpg

Last Friday was my first time with the 3.8L though. I know there are FI options available for it, but N/A (for now) is the plan. Most supporting mods on the car will apply to either choice (or even a V8 swap) down the road.

bonestock3.8DTH

Reaction score
Those are impressive numbers for a 4.0 v6! And The 3.8 looks pretty good I like it! and when you do the engine build get a 4.2 liter v6 out of an f-150 its a 3.8 stroked to 4.2 and already has split port heads and the split port intake and makes 20 more hp stock compared to the 99-04 mustang 3.8

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Nice man those 4.0v6's go good my friend had one with 4.10's a predator tuner and cai and it was running 14.7-14.9 on street tires which pissed me off Cus my 4.6 2v was running the same times with stock gears and street tires. So I slapped in some gears with my dad the next morning

LilRoush

Reaction score
In my experience forced induction is the only worth while way to make power on the 3.8L. I tried the N/A version, then did a N2O version before stepping up to the supercharger. From now on I will always go the blower route.

302N20

Reaction score
My old 96 v6 5speed with street tires, 3.73s, dual exhuast cat back, and cold air intake I got down to a 15.8 on motor and with a 50 hp dry shot I managed a 14.9

auto_x5.0

Reaction score
Anybody here tinker with 4.0 v6 motors? I want my explorer to have some ass to it lol i was told the stang motor is the same.

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
Nice man those 4.0v6's go good my friend had one with 4.10's a predator tuner and cai and it was running 14.7-14.9 on street tires which pissed me off Cus my 4.6 2v was running the same times with stock gears and street tires. So I slapped in some gears with my dad the next morning

i managed a 15.2 in the summer heat with 2.3 60ft in my father's bone stock 2007 V6 auto with the bald factory Pirelli all seasons. with better weather and just a fresh set of normal street times, im pretty sure a 14.9-15.0 wouldnt have been hard to get.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CBR51Stang

Members online