BBK TB question

OP
OP
CobraClone94

CobraClone94

Reaction score
When i figure it out, You'll be the first to know.
I got out and started the stang this mourning It did some surging for a bit but did settled down to an acceptable idle, but now i have a new prob...(as always). I now have a check engine light. It there when idling but will go away when i rev. Then come's bad once it settles.

Any clue what could be causing this?. My smog pump is bad, would that throw a code?

Don

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Smog pump doesn't have any sensors. Relearn base idle and c if it fixes it.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

OP
OP
CobraClone94

CobraClone94

Reaction score
Okay,

I just got back in from spending well over 3 hours trying to sort out my high idle issue.

I have switched back to my old Throttle body to eliminate that as one of the probs. The TPS is my old one, but the IAC is new. I have smoked checked for vac leaks, there are none.
This has brought the idle down to around 1200 with the IAC plugged in, and i have it the set to around 800 with the IAC unplugged. that's as low as it will go before it stalls.

I have run through the Idle reset no less than 3 times with the same result.. it ends up idling at 1200 with the IAC plugged in. It's worth noting i have tried 2 diff IAC's not including my old one.

Also an interested thing to mention, when the IAC is plugged in and idling at 1200, the CEL comes on BUT goes out if i rev it for more than a sec or two..

I could use some input, this is driving me nuts, i will be needing this car for school in a couple weeks.. would be very nice to figure this out... wish i had some car friends near me. *SIGH*

Don

OP
OP
CobraClone94

CobraClone94

Reaction score
not sure who is even reading this post anymore but, I just pulled codes, and i got a 121 meaning TPS is out of range (not enough voltage). Not sure if i should try replacing it, or adjust it.. although i have been told our cars set the base a PCM level?

Don

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yours is doing the same thing mine dod once. I had replaced my iac with one from autozone and it acted just like that. Gave my factory one a real good cleaning and oiled the inside of it and poof.......it was fine. I never could get the autozone iac to work.

OP
OP
CobraClone94

CobraClone94

Reaction score
Yours is doing the same thing mine dod once. I had replaced my iac with one from autozone and it acted just like that. Gave my factory one a real good cleaning and oiled the inside of it and poof.......it was fine. I never could get the autozone iac to work.

I swapped back to my old IAC and TPS, something i didn't mention was i was getting the same code with the other TB and it had an adjusted TPS.. that's why i am wondering if i have short or something, I've had the upper intake off, and the TB off and on a few times, and the IAC and TPS.. i am wondering if i pinched a wire or something.

BTW thanks for taking the time to reply, I don't have anyone near by to bounce ideas off, it means alot when anybody off here helps :)

Don

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Not a problem. Just wish I was close so I could help in person. It drove me insane when mine was doin it!!!!

OP
OP
CobraClone94

CobraClone94

Reaction score
Not a problem. Just wish I was close so I could help in person. It drove me insane when mine was doin it!!!!

It's the thought that counts sometimes and yes this is driving me nuts.. I took it for a blast a little while ago with the IAC unplugged and it drove really good, the idle was all over the place thou, sometimes it would idle at 900 and others at 1200.. but other then that it drove and run great!.. IDK, i am at my wits end with it.. I have already took back the new TPS i got, cause i saw no diff when i swapped it.. and i am seeing the same thing with the IAC.. I have a new one and my old one, and when i swap them, I see no diff at all..

TrickVert

Reaction score
Chasing this particular issue Dan be a real chore. I know from personal experience. I'm curious as to which base idle reset procedure you're using, as there are a few floating around, and only one is specific to the 94/95.

Andy

OP
OP
CobraClone94

CobraClone94

Reaction score
Chasing this particular issue Dan be a real chore. I know from personal experience. I'm curious as to which base idle reset procedure you're using, as there are a few floating around, and only one is specific to the 94/95.

Andy

I was talking to my NAPA (auto parts) guy today when i picked up my new smog pump. He's owned 4 5.0L stangs over the years, and even he has had to chase idle issues IDK why our cars have such probs?
as for the reset, I am using the unplug Batt for 30 mins, then disconnect IAC, and start (set idle where you want it)... Then stop engine, turn on all acc's and run the car for 2 mins.. then plug IAC back in and run for 2 more mins..

My car runs great with the IAC unplgged but still has a high idle.. to the point where i've had to back the screw all the way out and it still idles between 800-1000 I have checked for vac leaks 3 times.. and have not found any. Then sometimes it won't stay running, and stalls unless i crank the screw up a few turns.. this is leading me to believe i have a broken or pinched wire.

I picked up a multi meter today, i now start the tedious job of checking all my wires..

Don

TrickVert

Reaction score
I was talking to my NAPA (auto parts) guy today when i picked up my new smog pump. He's owned 4 5.0L stangs over the years, and even he has had to chase idle issues IDK why our cars have such probs?
as for the reset, I am using the unplug Batt for 30 mins, then disconnect IAC, and start (set idle where you want it)... Then stop engine, turn on all acc's and run the car for 2 mins.. then plug IAC back in and run for 2 more mins..

My car runs great with the IAC unplgged but still has a high idle.. to the point where i've had to back the screw all the way out and it still idles between 800-1000 I have checked for vac leaks 3 times.. and have not found any. Then sometimes it won't stay running, and stalls unless i crank the screw up a few turns.. this is leading me to believe i have a broken or pinched wire.

I picked up a multi meter today, i now start the tedious job of checking all my wires..

Don

Many (most) people start attacking the throttle stop screw, and then wonder why things go awry. THIS PAGE contains the *proper* method for resetting the base idle on Foxbody and 94/95 cars. (Note that they are different!) The "air bypass screw" referenced is on top of the throttle body, as marked in the photo below.

TB%20w%20Air%20Bypass%20Screw%20Marked_zpsbyel4mom.jpg

I'd perform this procedure before you go any further.

Andy

OP
OP
CobraClone94

CobraClone94

Reaction score
Hallelujah!............ It's FIXED I had the Smog pump put on, and we took a few mins to check the wiring, and it seems the TPS wires were reversed.. its was showing 4.5 V at idle and 1 volt at WOT.. soon as we flipped those all was good..
I need to drive it a little and let the computer learn, I am also gonna do an idle reset...

Thanks to everyone who piped in and tried to help.. :).. now if you'll excuse me, I have some gas and rubber to burn
:headbang: WOOOOO GET YOU SOME OF THAT!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That's a palm to the forehead kind of moment!!! Lol

Glad you got it figured out!!!!