Blew the motor in my Subaru

CompOrangeSN95

Reaction score
Nothing to do with my Mustang, but thought you guys might appreciate the story.
I daily a WRX and this past weekend I brought it up to Vermont to do the Mt. Ascutney Hill Climb. On the very first run, I spun a bearing and the motor started knocking like a mother****er. So I rented a U-haul trailer in my home town via the interwebz, called my buddy (a very good friend), and asked him if he could grab the trailer and come get me. Thankfully he wasn't working and was able to make the trip. He gets there around 7:15pm, we get the car loaded on the trailer and we're about to head home when we notice one tire on the trailer is shredded... ****. So we call U-haul (because there's no spare) and after about 1-1/2 hours on the phone we finally get a confirmation that someone is coming to change the wheel. Turns out to be 1 of 2 U-haul service guys in the entire state of Vermont. He fixed us up and we were on the road by 10. Sooooo, the next day I took a couple tasteful mods off of the car and call up the dealership, since I still have 700 miles left on my warranty. The woman at the dealership informs me that they don't have an opening until that Friday BUT if I can drive the car in and tell them it's an emergency, they'll take me early. Time to roll the dice. I get in, start up the time bomb, and start driving (the dealership is about 30 miles from my house). I get about half way to the dealership and the engine completely takes a shit. So, I call my buddy again, rent the same exact trailer, and we bring the car to the dealership. Dropped it off and within 2 hours I get a voice mail on my cell that went something like this: "Well, something definitely let go in there. We have a short block on order, still under warranty. Pistons, rings, connecting rods, the whole deal. We should have it finished for you in about a week and a half. Give me a call if you have any questions." So, I'm getting a new engine, for free! Another 700 miles and I would have had to eat the cost of a rebuild myself. Just a heads up to any WRX owners that this seams to be an extremely common thing and most likely would have happened regardless. Also, the check engine light never came on... It sounded like the insides wanted to come out and still no light. The only time a light came on, and it was all of them at once, was when the car completely died.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Such luck!! I talked to a guy at the gas pump a few days ago and he said subies are notorious for breaking down. Guess there's a lot of truth to that statement.

OP
OP
CompOrangeSN95

CompOrangeSN95

Reaction score
Such luck!! I talked to a guy at the gas pump a few days ago and he said subies are notorious for breaking down. Guess there's a lot of truth to that statement.

Yeah, he's not wrong. I always thought they were reliable cars and that was one of the reasons they hold their value. I was wrong. But the dealer is taking care of me, so I guess it's all good.

OP
OP
CompOrangeSN95

CompOrangeSN95

Reaction score
So basically what you're saying is...now you're going to swap a 5.8 sc dohc shelby gt500 engine right? That's where this is going correct?
Na, I'm going for the gusto and having them swap in a Rolls Royce Merlin engine from a P-51.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Yah, I kind of think this is a myth. In fact, I think Subaru has the opposite reputation - that they are quite reliable. Consumer Reports (and equivalent) regularly place Subie's in the top cars of the year, and they have a very good reliability rating. And if you think about it, this makes sense - how in the world can a car retain it's value like a Subaru does if its got a reliability issue? The answer is: it can't retain value, and it won't. Yet the Subaru does.

Now, that's not to say things don't happen. They do. And when they do, people are pretty vocal about it. For every 1 person that says "my engine blew up!" on a forum, there are hundreds of thousands that aren't saying "my car started and ran perfectly fine today!" My point being, people complain about the failures, and not the "it worked like it's supposed to."

Not trashing the OP - OP, that really sucks and I hate that for you man, soooooooo glad it happened before the warranty was up. That's got to be a terrible feeling :( And I'm not saying the OP is wrong for saying the car isn't reliable - in his case, it wasn't. I would be yelling the same thing had that happened to me (luckily it hasn't, knock on wood). All I'm saying is that Subie's have a good reputation for a good reason. And the fact that the OP is getting a free engine out of it (and obviously should), bodes well.

My boss, today, is at the dealership getting her A/C fixed in her brand new Ford Mustang. It has like 8000 miles on it. And the A/C broke. Which in Florida is like a death sentence. There's a lot of moving parts in a car, and shit happens. I guess in the case of Subaru, and WRX's specifically (because that's what most I have read/seen were driving when discussing the issue, could very well apply to any of Subaru's cars), when it does fail, it's a catastrophic spun bearing. Personally, and I have absolutely no data to back this up, I suspect a lot of the engine failures are due to a bad tune and/or over-revving - meaning people probably load an AccessPORT on it and perhaps run a map/boost not suitable to the engine, or maybe there was something in that version of the tune that allowed/caused detonation.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying the OP did anything wrong at all. Also, I personally run an AccessPORT, so not saying AccessPORT sucks.

OP
OP
CompOrangeSN95

CompOrangeSN95

Reaction score
Yah, I kind of think this is a myth. In fact, I think Subaru has the opposite reputation - that they are quite reliable. Consumer Reports (and equivalent) regularly place Subie's in the top cars of the year, and they have a very good reliability rating. And if you think about it, this makes sense - how in the world can a car retain it's value like a Subaru does if its got a reliability issue? The answer is: it can't retain value, and it won't. Yet the Subaru does.

Now, that's not to say things don't happen. They do. And when they do, people are pretty vocal about it. For every 1 person that says "my engine blew up!" on a forum, there are hundreds of thousands that aren't saying "my car started and ran perfectly fine today!" My point being, people complain about the failures, and not the "it worked like it's supposed to."

Not trashing the OP - OP, that really sucks and I hate that for you man, soooooooo glad it happened before the warranty was up. That's got to be a terrible feeling :( And I'm not saying the OP is wrong for saying the car isn't reliable - in his case, it wasn't. I would be yelling the same thing had that happened to me (luckily it hasn't, knock on wood). All I'm saying is that Subie's have a good reputation for a good reason. And the fact that the OP is getting a free engine out of it (and obviously should), bodes well.

My boss, today, is at the dealership getting her A/C fixed in her brand new Ford Mustang. It has like 8000 miles on it. And the A/C broke. Which in Florida is like a death sentence. There's a lot of moving parts in a car, and shit happens. I guess in the case of Subaru, and WRX's specifically (because that's what most I have read/seen were driving when discussing the issue, could very well apply to any of Subaru's cars), when it does fail, it's a catastrophic spun bearing. Personally, and I have absolutely no data to back this up, I suspect a lot of the engine failures are due to a bad tune and/or over-revving - meaning people probably load an AccessPORT on it and perhaps run a map/boost not suitable to the engine, or maybe there was something in that version of the tune that allowed/caused detonation.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying the OP did anything wrong at all. Also, I personally run an AccessPORT, so not saying AccessPORT sucks.

I completely agree with the "People don't write about it starting up and working perfectly" and always take that into account when researching things. I was one of the unlucky ones that had an issue. I won't go complaining about it, and didn't intend for my post to come off that way. Just a story about a blunder that I thought you guys would get a kick out of it. My only real complaint about the car is that it rattles like a mother****er and Subaru didn't bother with any sound deadening. The brakes and steering were pretty shotty from the factory, but it's a WRX, not an STI, so I expected that.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I completely agree with the "People don't write about it starting up and working perfectly" and always take that into account when researching things. I was one of the unlucky ones that had an issue. I won't go complaining about it, and didn't intend for my post to come off that way. Just a story about a blunder that I thought you guys would get a kick out of it. My only real complaint about the car is that it rattles like a mother****er and Subaru didn't bother with any sound deadening. The brakes and steering were pretty shotty from the factory, but it's a WRX, not an STI, so I expected that.

My bad dude, I didn't mean to make it sound like you were. I was really referencing the numerous posts on NASIOC I ran across back when I was researching the cars. I didn't think you were complaining at all. I was just saying that as a reason why people might think the reliability is no good. I'm sorry it came off the way it did, I didn't mean to do that.

And I'm glad your car is getting sorted :)

As to the rattles.....yes. Totally started after like 2.5 years of ownership lol. I've noticed it changes with the tire temps - in the morning, with cold tires, it tends to be worse ;)

Wichers123

Reaction score
Wife has a 2005 forester xt ad we love it once it's paid off I'll be driving it and not my truck and we getting her whatever she wants. I find with the Subaru crowd is they don't like running the oil designed to be run in the car. It kills me to hear people putting rotella in over the factory suggested oil. Subarus have a lot of Toyota electronics and interior.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
My boy blew up his wrx' motor not too long ago. And its like a 2014 or something idk. He lucked out and got it swapped under warranty too

RichV

Reaction score
At the track, we joke as instructors, anyone with a WRX/STI student should be free by lunchtime. If they make 2 sessions without issues, that's good.

But I bet it's just like any turbo car with mods, faster it gets, more unreliable it is.

Glad they covered it! I eat most costs like that, but when the stars lighn up and something like this happens, it's good karma!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
willing to bet that the reliability problems you hear about with these is probably user caused much like the OP's was. I think a lot of guys get them to live their dream of being a rally racer and hitting a hill climb or two on the weekend and that is just something you don't see a lot of camry owners doing.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
At the track, we joke as instructors, anyone with a WRX/STI student should be free by lunchtime. If they make 2 sessions without issues, that's good.

Lol. I made it an entire weekend in the STI. Had a blast too! My instructor was complaining about a sore neck the 2nd day. :D

4.6Stangrage

Reaction score
As a person who works in a shop that specializes in subarus, they are pretty reliable. As long as the they are maintained properly (like any other car they last forever. Subarus need oil changes more often then most cars, 3,750 is the recommended interval. Turbo subarus probably need it sooner. Their transmissions last a long time. I have not seen many trans failures at all. I have seen engine failures though but they failed because they were late on oil changes by over 5k. The non turbo 2.5s have head gasket issues, but we replace them with MLS gaskets which outlast the original style indefinitely.

Witzy0070

Reaction score
I used to love Subaru's.

Then after replacing 10,000 head gaskets I don't love them. Besides, the current boxer config is so dated. But being able to pull an engine out in about 3 hours solo is nice.

Must be nice having a warranty. Never had one of those before!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online