Broken gauge cluster

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I received my gauge cluster back today from AccuTach! Too late in the day and too windy to start the reinstall today, so will do tomorrow after work around 2pm PST. I have to say, the cluster looks great. Lens is spotless and the cluster was packaged incredibly well with layer after layer after layer(!) of bubble wrap. I’m attaching pics of the Report and invoice (incredibly fair and affordable)… oh, and the gauge cluster itself!

Attachments

• 6FAE9FC5-C102-472A-97A0-CF8BFA59C01D.jpeg
    6FAE9FC5-C102-472A-97A0-CF8BFA59C01D.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 14
  • BDAA146A-FB34-4E0D-A6A0-E06A075ED75C.jpeg
    BDAA146A-FB34-4E0D-A6A0-E06A075ED75C.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 7A71D596-17DF-4AAB-A6D9-61C9D4125526.jpeg
    7A71D596-17DF-4AAB-A6D9-61C9D4125526.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 7D69C2F2-2161-4D27-AC9B-AF9085EE5572.jpeg
    7D69C2F2-2161-4D27-AC9B-AF9085EE5572.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 14

joemomma

Reaction score
Does he have clusters available for sale? I'd like to get a Cobra cluster for my '94.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Does he have clusters available for sale? I'd like to get a Cobra cluster for my '94.
Possibly. He used a donor part on mine. I left him a voice message asking for you. When he calls back, I’ll let you know and give you his name and number with his permission. Fingers crossed!…

joemomma

Reaction score
Right on, thanks dude! I checked a couple of used clusters on eBay and they were high as groceries. Hopefully he could cut me a deal with mine as a trade-in.

Edit to add: worst case, I send it to him and let him freshen it up with white face layover and new needles/paint or something.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Right on, thanks dude! I checked a couple of used clusters on eBay and they were high as groceries. Hopefully he could cut me a deal with mine as a trade-in.

Edit to add: worst case, I send it to him and let him freshen it up with white face layover and new needles/paint or something.
He wrote back and said he does not. So, your best option is to contact him and send yours to him.
AccuTech.com

badass98svt

Reaction score
I have a spare 94-95 GT cluster for sale if anyone needs it also. Has white face gauges.

from6to8

Reaction score
Just the tach and speedo not working? All other gauges, indicators, warning lights work ok?

Had to replace a wonky tach year or 2 ago. "steeper" motor was bad.
just a quick update on something else I noticed but the only warning light i get on the cluster is the batter. Even when i pull the E brake it doesn't register on the cluster and I know that's supposed to show. Also tried another stepper motor from another cluster and I think it should be good as it's still in the cluster though it's marked 95. I have 2 95's and so I wanted to differentiate the one's from which car. Not sure if I tried that one last year when I had an issue with the cluster and it ended up being the stepper motor but I think the speedometer and tach were working and just not the odometer IIRC. Here is my post from one of the groups on fb:

Man this is crazy what's going on with my car the past few weeks. I started diagnosing an issue with my autometer oil pressure and water temp gauge and after a week and a half narrowed it down to a malfunctioning water temp gauge. Awaiting a new one to come in next week and moved the car from under the carport to clean up then put back in the garage so I took it on a quick little drive a few miles and no damn odometer or rpm or anthing on the cluster. I can't recall rather the oem battery gauge worked even though I have an autometer battery gauge as well but ofcourse the water and oil pressure on the cluster doesn't register because of using the autometer senders.
I double checked wiring and anything that I messed with, checked fuses, checked the PATs box in the trunk as I've read some have had an issue with the no. 8 fuse blowing and somethiing related to the PATS but with theirs they had no inteior light no radio working or anything. Everything else in the car is working fine and when i turn key power on the battery symbol on the cluster lights up briefly as it's supposed to but there should be more things lighting up right? I've also tried 2 more clusters out of my other cars and they all do the same thing. I swapped out the VSS last night with one from my other car that was laying around and inspected the gear on it and that looks fine and still no change. Even if there was an issue with the VSS or the gear inside the trans itself ( the drive gear I believe), the Rpm on the cluster should still work as I was told by Jeff @ odometer gears earlier that the Rpm gets its signal from the coil.
I'm not sure what the heck else it could be because the cluster is definitely getting 12v power and it lights up and all. Why would all 3 clusters be doing the exact same thing? Is there a relay under the dash or under the hood that's related to the cluster? Still doesn't explain how the cluster would light up but just not register anything to work. All fuses are fine and nothing out of place.
And the worm gear and drive gear was changed last year when I dropped the motor in. Even if they were bad that would only be for the trip and the speedometer not the Rpm.

from6to8

Reaction score
Michael,
I chatted with Mark @ AccuTach a few times and quickly realized he definitely knows what he’s doing. Shipped my gauge cluster to him. Day and a half later he had it sorted and on its way back to me. Scheduled to arrive UPS Monday evening.
Bonus about him: he diagnosed additional issues, sorted those as well and the cost was TOTALLY AFFORDABLE! Thank you so much for the referral!

If anyone else is having gauge cluster issues, I HIGHLY recommend contacting Mark Olson @ AccuTach.com.

I can’t wait to get it back, pop it back in and see it working!
hey check my post should be one of the most current a few posts ago or so and let me know if you were having my issues with the only warning light being the battery light with key on. Thanks in advance

from6to8

Reaction score
So...... you had a screw missing. And the tach was replaced. And calibrated, all for 100 bucks.

Good deal.
but was a bad tach causing the other issues/things not to work as well?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
just a quick update on something else I noticed but the only warning light i get on the cluster is the batter. Even when i pull the E brake it doesn't register on the cluster and I know that's supposed to show. Also tried another stepper motor from another cluster and I think it should be good as it's still in the cluster though it's marked 95. I have 2 95's and so I wanted to differentiate the one's from which car. Not sure if I tried that one last year when I had an issue with the cluster and it ended up being the stepper motor but I think the speedometer and tach were working and just not the odometer IIRC. Here is my post from one of the groups on fb:

Man this is crazy what's going on with my car the past few weeks. I started diagnosing an issue with my autometer oil pressure and water temp gauge and after a week and a half narrowed it down to a malfunctioning water temp gauge. Awaiting a new one to come in next week and moved the car from under the carport to clean up then put back in the garage so I took it on a quick little drive a few miles and no damn odometer or rpm or anthing on the cluster. I can't recall rather the oem battery gauge worked even though I have an autometer battery gauge as well but ofcourse the water and oil pressure on the cluster doesn't register because of using the autometer senders.
I double checked wiring and anything that I messed with, checked fuses, checked the PATs box in the trunk as I've read some have had an issue with the no. 8 fuse blowing and somethiing related to the PATS but with theirs they had no inteior light no radio working or anything. Everything else in the car is working fine and when i turn key power on the battery symbol on the cluster lights up briefly as it's supposed to but there should be more things lighting up right? I've also tried 2 more clusters out of my other cars and they all do the same thing. I swapped out the VSS last night with one from my other car that was laying around and inspected the gear on it and that looks fine and still no change. Even if there was an issue with the VSS or the gear inside the trans itself ( the drive gear I believe), the Rpm on the cluster should still work as I was told by Jeff @ odometer gears earlier that the Rpm gets its signal from the coil.
I'm not sure what the heck else it could be because the cluster is definitely getting 12v power and it lights up and all. Why would all 3 clusters be doing the exact same thing? Is there a relay under the dash or under the hood that's related to the cluster? Still doesn't explain how the cluster would light up but just not register anything to work. All fuses are fine and nothing out of place.
And the worm gear and drive gear was changed last year when I dropped the motor in. Even if they were bad that would only be for the trip and the speedometer not the Rpm.
which fuses did you check?

from6to8

Reaction score
also forgot to add:

I recently swapped out a cruise control button but I think i just cut the wires because my cruise isn't hooked up anyway and I just wanted it cosmetically to have the button there. I will double check tomorow to see and first thing I will do is if I did cut it, re-splice it back. I will double check tomorow to see and first thing I will do is if I did cut it, re-splice it back. I just got the car painted few months ago and took it back to get some things corrected. When I got it home and got around to cleaning it and looking over the punch list corrections that was one of the first things I did was fix that cruise button. Then I pulled the car under the carport to diagnose and fix a non working autometer water temp gauge that was working prior. Took me a week and a half diagnoging it and realized I likely need a gauge so I was going to finish cleaning up the car and put back in the garage until the gauge come in. Moving it out of the carport I went on a quick little few mile drive and noticed the speedo or tach was not working so started to dianose it and the cluster lights up

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
good checking every fuse. The next thing I would say to check is to pull the cluster back out and inspect the connection where the harness plugs into it. They use a system that there are some copper traces that can lift and move to make contact with the one next to it, or not make contact at all.

from6to8

Reaction score
good checking every fuse. The next thing I would say to check is to pull the cluster back out and inspect the connection where the harness plugs into it. They use a system that there are some copper traces that can lift and move to make contact with the one next to it, or not make contact at all.
i've looked at it as well and it appears fine to me but will double check it. One guy on the fb group said his PATS box burned up while driving and he had a similiar issue. I asked him to clarify on if he had specific speedo and tach issues like me and waiting his reply. I also unplugged mine the other night and ofcourse the key fob didn't respond to it and so I plugged back up. Not sure if that would have anything to do with my issue really

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online