Bump Steer Kit Bolt cross threaded.

dcolli10

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find a replacement 5/8 bolt that you would typically find in a bump steer kit. Last owner cross threaded the bolt and it flattened all the threads. Don’t want to buy a whole kit for the one part.

Speedway motors sells a bolt for a ford “pinto.” Don’t know if that has the same taper as the sn95 spindle where it mounts.

Kit I have is a UPR bump steer kit if that helps.

OP
OP
D

dcolli10

Reaction score
Was contemplating just drilling out the spindle and replacing with a straight 5/8 grade 8 bolt. Wondering if anyone has seen that done before.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
You can drill out the spindles but have it done in a drill press, don't do it by hand. It's gotta be a true job and not a hack job.

I had a machine shop drill out my spindles many years ago to about 15.5 millimeters and the thing came out perfect with something like that same bolt you have there. Bumpsteer package I ultimately settled on was from Maximum Motorsports to use a straight bolt setup, rather than the tapered.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Another option, if you’re wishing to keep the tapered setup, is to have a machine shop make a new bolt.

I think if I was in that position I’d ask the shop to quote the new, tapered bolt, and also machining the spindle(s) and see what the price difference is. It’s not much to machine out the spindle for a thru bolt, but it also isn’t much to fire up a lathe and make that tapered bolt.

OP
OP
D

dcolli10

Reaction score
Gonna try this first. Summit has them for Chevy,ford, and others. This even looks exactly like the bolt that comes in the UPR kit. IMG_0026.png

badass98svt

Reaction score
Why not just call UPR? Their customer service is great actually.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online