calling all you auto bods!

kid rock

Reaction score
hi guys/gals

i have a 98 GT that recently at around 50mph the revs would drop about 500rpm like my torque converter is locking up sorta deal, this happens on my mates camaro and caddy, but mine never did it, should mine do it? because its becoming a pain in the butt!!

i have to push the gas pedal downabout an inch for it to raise the revs again and the car to get moving?

or is my toque converter fecked and i need a new one??

let me know guys, cheers

Si

P.S this is my first post, saw the link in sombodys sig over on stangnet and came straight over :pimp2:

oh and i have a 98GT auto!

G

GREG@SN95

wow... thats fuckin weird... I'd really need to see it...

@ possiblities I could figure

1. fuel problem... Its starving... check fuel lines, filter, gas tank, injectors, fuel pump, etc etc etc

2. could be the torque converter... BUT... I can't figure how it would do that...

OP
OP
K

kid rock

Reaction score
GREG@SN95 said:
wow... thats fuckin weird... I'd really need to see it...

@ possiblities I could figure

1. fuel problem... Its starving... check fuel lines, filter, gas tank, injectors, fuel pump, etc etc etc

2. could be the torque converter... BUT... I can't figure how it would do that...

didnt think about the fueling side of things, thing is it only does it at around 50mph, round town it doesnt and it still seems to go normally when i put my foot down!!

hmmmm, wot u reckon??

Si

G

GREG@SN95

well... it could be that the fuel filter or something is partially clogged... or the pump aint working @ 100% which would allow the engine to get fuel and run... but then it starts to stall out when it can't get enough...

but idk for sure... i'd really have to see it...

OP
OP
K

kid rock

Reaction score
gonna pull the codes off on saturday and see ifi have any and check the fuel filter and the rest!, any other possibilities??

Si

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Do you drive around with the OD off? If not you may just be slipping into OD and having to step on the gas to downshift it...
I turn my OD off as soon as i get in and only turn it on when i get on a highway.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
Do you drive around with the OD off? If not you may just be slipping into OD and having to step on the gas to downshift it...
I turn my OD off as soon as i get in and only turn it on when i get on a highway.

I was thinking this too, but it should not be slipping like that.

OP
OP
K

kid rock

Reaction score
droptopony/snakebite:

no i always drive it with overdrive on (petrol is expensive over here) and its not it slipping into OD i know what that feels like,

it felt worse today like the car lost some of its power!! but ONLY at around 50mph below, above or accelerating thorugh 50 is al fine, just at around 50MPH!

any thing else i can look at when i look at the car sat? or any ideas??

Si

G

GREG@SN95

kid rock said:
droptopony/snakebite:

no i always drive it with overdrive on (petrol is expensive over here) and its not it slipping into OD i know what that feels like,

it felt worse today like the car lost some of its power!! but ONLY at around 50mph below, above or accelerating thorugh 50 is al fine, just at around 50MPH!

Si

you check the fuel system yet?

OP
OP
K

kid rock

Reaction score
GREG@SN95 said:
kid rock said:
droptopony/snakebite:

Si

thats on the list dude dont worry lol!! how am i gonna tel if im getting fuel pressure? dont theese modern fuel injecion systems run at like 3000psi??

Si

G

GREG@SN95

kid rock said:
GREG@SN95 said:
kid rock said:
droptopony/snakebite:

Si

thats on the list dude dont worry lol!! how am i gonna tel if im getting fuel pressure? dont theese modern fuel injecion systems run at like 3000psi??

Si

check the fuel filter... is it clogged?
unplug it from the rail... its fuel pumping out?
etc etc etc...

check that all out... if the fuel is flowing to the rails then everything back is a ok

the next step would be to check injectors and fuel rail... but thats alot of work that you do not want to do if they arent the cause...

if you could get a video that'd be helpful

OP
OP
K

kid rock

Reaction score
right good news guys, it seems that the dropping revs i have IS just the torque converter locking up BUT when i tap the brake it doesnt release, now from wot i know the brake pedal has 2 switchs:

1 to activate the brake lights

and

1 to un lock the torque converter

am i right??

if so it might just be this 2nd switch has gone wrong and that i need a new one, if so how much and where from?

oh and btw we think the cause of the problem was due to my mustang coming from japan rather than from the states (doesnt get driven as much out there and we think the solenoid just got seized and wasnt firing to lock of the torque converter)

this all make sense?? if so help lol

Si :drunk:

G

GREG@SN95

NO

the brake pedal only controls the brakes and brake lights...

the torque convertor is filled with fluid... as your engine spins so does the TC... its kinda hard to describe... but the faster your engine spins the more power the TC allows to go to the wheels...

so your brake pedal has nothing to do w/ your TC

OP
OP
K

kid rock

Reaction score
GREG@SN95 said:
NO

the torque convertor is filled with fluid... as your engine spins so does the TC... its kinda hard to describe... but the faster your engine spins the more power the TC allows to go to the wheels...

correct me if im wrong but when the torque converter locks up the 2 spinning segments lock togethor, the process done by a solenoid being fired which fires the 2 sections togethor, thus lowering the rpm

same process for the torque converter being un-locked, solenoid firing, revs going back up etc etc

now what controls the solenoid (as i thought it was a switch on the brake pedal for un locking the torque convertor)

if this isnt the case then what controls the firing of the solenoid to lock and unlock the torque convertor!

also sorry for the slow reply lol

Si

G

GREG@SN95

kid rock said:
GREG@SN95 said:
NO

torque converter is mechanical...

no wires no chips just the fluid filled TC

correct me if im wrong but when the torque converter locks up the 2 spinning segments lock togethor, the process done by a solenoid being fired which fires the 2 sections togethor, thus lowering the rpm

same process for the torque converter being un-locked, solenoid firing, revs going back up etc etc

now what controls the solenoid (as i thought it was a switch on the brake pedal for un locking the torque convertor)

if this isnt the case then what controls the firing of the solenoid to lock and unlock the torque convertor!

also sorry for the slow reply lol

Si

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.