Cam Cover removal

Limey

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Does anyone have any tips for removing the Cam Covers on a ’96 Cobra? The Workshop manual and the Haynes manual are useless. I would rather not disconnect the Air Con pipes for obvious reasons but I have disconnected the fuel lines. I am removing the Cam Covers to re-paint them and don’t want to scratch them putting them back. Any advice from someone that is done this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bruce

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Yeesh..... In an engine bay with no room, scratches are almost guarantee.

I have no experience removing covers from a 4.6l while in the car and can only imagine the wiggle work needed to get them off.

I mess with the 2v 5.4l and have successfully removed the covers from it while in the bay. On the driver side after loosening the brake pedal assembly to gain room under the hydroboost , removing clutch cable, snake arming under the car to loosen the cam cover bolts underside and play the cam cover like a tetris block, i finally removed it. It it were painted pretty, it wouldnt be now.

Some one here has bound to removed a dohc cover at one point. Theyll chime in

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Pull the exhaust down pipes from the manifolds. Pull the bolt from the side engine mount on the passenger side and put a 2x4 under the engine mount and jack it up and remove all the passenger side parts you want then do the same thing on the driver side..it will be harder so practice on the passenger side first.

OP
OP
L

Limey

Reaction score

I have no experience removing covers from a 4.6l while in the car and can only imagine the wiggle work needed to get them off.

I mess with the 2v 5.4l and have successfully removed the covers from it while in the bay. On the driver side after loosening the brake pedal assembly to gain room under the hydroboost , removing clutch cable, snake arming under the car to loosen the cam cover bolts underside and play the cam cover like a tetris block, i finally removed it. It it were painted pretty, it wouldnt be now.

Thanks for responding OLD H25
I will have to take everything off that I can and then be very careful

OP
OP
L

Limey

Reaction score
Pull the exhaust down pipes from the manifolds. Pull the bolt from the side engine mount on the passenger side and put a 2x4 under the engine mount and jack it up and remove all the passenger side parts you want then do the same thing on the driver side..it will be harder so practice on the passenger side first.

Thanks for responding

OP
OP
L

Limey

Reaction score
Thanks I will give that a try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online