Cam questions

DarkknightGT

Reaction score
I got a 95 gt with the 302 5.0 and the 5 speed. I wanna build the engine up a bit to make 300 hp or a bit better. I already have a plan to do a gt40 intake from an explorer, 24lb injectors and MAF maybe, but I wanna put a small cam in but keep the stock heads. I wanna do the e303 plus cam from summit. I keep seeing the possibility of valve float and even it being too big for the stock heads. I dont wanna do the b cam cause i want it to pass emissions and it also be my daily. But I've heard of plenty of guys doing it and the car being fine!! Please smack me with common sense or suggestions for cams. I'm all ears

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Do aftermarket 1.6 ratio roller rockers for a bump in hp. Same cam, same springs. Plus side you dont have to remove the engine to swap a cam.

95opal

Reaction score
I got a 95 gt with the 302 5.0 and the 5 speed. I wanna build the engine up a bit to make 300 hp or a bit better. I already have a plan to do a gt40 intake from an explorer, 24lb injectors and MAF maybe, but I wanna put a small cam in but keep the stock heads. I wanna do the e303 plus cam from summit. I keep seeing the possibility of valve float and even it being too big for the stock heads. I dont wanna do the b cam cause i want it to pass emissions and it also be my daily. But I've heard of plenty of guys doing it and the car being fine!! Please smack me with common sense or suggestions for cams. I'm all ears

Stock heads will be your bottleneck
Not sure on what mileage are in those heads but if your dead set on keeping them i would upgrade the springs.
Better yet a set of afr or trickflows.
Steeda 19 is a pcm friendly cam for 94-95 cars. Might also think about that.

Rod

Reaction score
For 300+ HP you need air to flow. Bigger TB, intake, heads, headers, cam. The Explorer intake is a good low cost option that will support 300+ HP but you may as well get the P heads while you're at it, upgrade the springs with the Trickflow kit. You will need a bigger TB as well. BBK long tubes, I know some people say they have QC issues but for the cost they are pretty good headers, and try finding headers for our cars that are either in stock or not LS swap headers....What? They will clear the P head spark plugs but you may want to use 90degree boots. The Summit E+ or Ford E won't get you to 300 most likely but are good cams for emissions. I suggest you talk to the tech guy at Summit to suggest a good cam that will fit for emissions and a daily driver. Also check out Richard Holdener on YouTube. He does a lot of engine builds and likes Windsor Fords a lot.

OP
OP
DarkknightGT

DarkknightGT

Reaction score
Do aftermarket 1.6 ratio roller rockers for a bump in hp. Same cam, same springs. Plus side you dont have to remove the engine to swap a cam.
I actually read on that and decided that would be the way to go! The stock cam is actually pretty beefy for what it is and is really bad a$$ sounding with them too. The car only has 145k on it so the springs can't be that bad?

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
So to get 340 out of mine
Ford aluminum race head with bigger chevy valves
1.6 roller rockers
B 303 cam
Gt 40 tubular intake
75 mm throttle body
Rebuilt block with original crank and rods stock bore stock bearing sizes
Keith black silvolight pistons stock size flat top
Harden push rods
24 psi injectors
And a tune

Tac1

Reaction score
We talking crank or wheel horsepower? Go 1.7 roller rockers and run a steeda 19 can, it's computer friendly for our 94/95 cars but with gt40 intakes and heads you'll prob lay down 265-275 wheel horsepower at best depending on your exhaust setup and intake, throttle body etc stuff. But it'll idle good, have a lil chop in the exhaust from the cam and shouldn't cause any issues without a tune.

itsell

Reaction score
I actually read on that and decided that would be the way to go! The stock cam is actually pretty beefy for what it is and is really bad a$$ sounding with them too. The car only has 145k on it so the springs can't be that bad?
it's not that the springs are bad, it's that they're simply not designed for anything more that the stock cam. you'll need valve springs matched to a more aggressive cam.

Tac1

Reaction score
it's not that the springs are bad, it's that they're simply not designed for anything more that the stock cam. you'll need valve springs matched to a more aggressive cam.
Exactly! Any lift higher than the factory cam and the valve springs can't handle it. Not totally expensive but you should def upgrade them regardless of what aftermarket cam you'll end up with

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
more to it then just a cam but like others mentioned the steeda 19 is a good cam . I run it with 1.7’s over 1.6’s

Tac1

Reaction score
more to it then just a cam but like others mentioned the steeda 19 is a good cam . I run it with 1.7’s over 1.6’s
Stock ECU or tuned? how's it drive, how's the power band, big loss of down low torque? I was looking at the steeda 19 or was gonna have the Crane 2031 made from a custom grind for my 95 cobra

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Stock ECU or tuned? how's it drive, how's the power band, big loss of down low torque? I was looking at the steeda 19 or was gonna have the Crane 2031 made from a custom grind for my 95 cobra

My car has a blower on it so down low torque isn’t really a problem . It was stock ecu forever with a fmu and 30 lb injectors , only been on Holley for a year . The car has really good street manners I’ve completely redone the fuel system and made a ton of changes since the stock ecu

Tac1

Reaction score
My car has a blower on it so down low torque isn’t really a problem . It was stock ecu forever with a fmu and 30 lb injectors , only been on Holley for a year . The car has really good street manners I’ve completely redone the fuel system and made a ton of changes since the stock ecu
Good to know, thanks! I'm just looking for a mild drop in cam that won't cause drama idling on the stock ECU.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online