Cam thoughts inside please!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Well....if its an off the self cam.....one possibility is to knock off some of the exhaust opening on your cam....hence tightening lobe seperation angle by sending it back to be regound.

tinnocker

Reaction score
As I said, it is just a driver, so I am not going to go after more horsepower. It sounds good and feels a lot faster than when it was just a 75,000 mile stock GT. I am happy with it.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Great!

Im happy you like it!

Now for you next agenda.....a long smoky burn out video!!...lol

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
How do you like the 266? I was looking into that or the 274 when I was looking at H/C/I setups for mine. Stock bottom end?

tinnocker

Reaction score
Yes, a stock bottom end. I like the 266. My tuner set my idle at 900 rpm and I wish it was a little lower. It takes about 4-5 seconds for the idle to drop down at a red light but when it does it has a nice chop, lope sound. It has a very strong 2nd gear, which is about all that I have used so for. No burn outs from first. The only thing I don't like about the cam is the low speed lurch that the guy on the video talked about. Cruising at a car show or bumper to bumper traffic in 1st gear at about 1200 rpm it will want to jump and you have to push the clutch in to make it stop. The 274 may be even worse in those situations, I don't know. I wanted a Ford B303 but some reviewers said it wasn't a friendly ever day driver in slow traffic or parking lot traffic. I think they were talking about what mine is doing. I think, don't know, that maybe the more lift a cam has, the more rpm's it likes while it is under power. They will idle and sound good but if you put a little strain on them , then they like the higher rpm's. I don't want to start a argument about the B cams. Some will probably chime in and say that theirs does good in low speed traffic. I know they sound very good and will make a 302/5.0 scream.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Yeah as far as just pure sound goes, it is hard to beat the old B cam. I watched KASL's video on the 266, and I think gears would help with the low speed bucking, at least a little anyway. Heck my mostly stock '06GT (minus exhaust and tune) would do that especially when cold. Make you look like you couldn't drive a stick lol. But, that was mostly the Bama tune.

tinnocker

Reaction score
I have 3.73 gears. I think I just need to get more used to it, drive it more. I also had a new clutch and pressure plate installed when it was in the shop so the clutch has a different feel. I notice a couple of times I wasn't giving it enough gas as the clutch came up and I almost stalled it. I was used to the other clutch coming almost all the way to the top before it engaged.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Right on. I'm going to have to dive in to my clutch setup when I get it back from paint. The TOB is chirping and it is getting worse. It may just need some adjustment in the cable as it supposedly has a new clutch installed by the PO.

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
On your cam concerns. Oregon cam or Delta cams in Washington state do what ever grind you want. , Can be based on a manufacturer spec. At less than 1/2 the cost of off the shelf. Also look into Howard's cams. I have a 347 with a Howard's that's near same specs as the comps 274 your considering. And with RHS 200 HEADS ABOUT 10 TO 1. I'm making near 400 at the crank. And total into the build was under 5 k. There are local builders that might do ya right and build you a great platform for what you put into , in just parts. If your in the pnw, I have a guy that does nothing but build engines and has a whole sale license for parts . He has built 5 engines for me so far. All are 4 plus years on the road or track. None have failed , from his workmanship .

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Right on, I'll check them out. I'm actually in TN. There are some good builders around here, but most of them are old-timers and are really slowing down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online