Can you paint chrome??

GTfiveoh

Reaction score
I really like the look of bronze/gold fr wheels with a chrome lip on a black car. Is there any way I can make this happen? I heard it's extremely difficult to strip chrome. I was thinking for a test run plasti dipping the centers then painting gold over the plasti dip that way I can peel it off but I don't know if that's even possible. This is the look I want to try to get

null_zps5f290286.jpg

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You can use a black plasti-dip as a base coat and use their gold metallic dip over it. The more coats the brighter.
From there you can see if you actually like it and can consider getting them professionally powdercoated.

hqdefault.jpg

And yes, you can paint chrome wheels.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you paint over plastidip you'll lose the ability to peel it easily when you want to remove it. I'd suggest the vintage gold plastidip, it covers a lot better than the gold metalizer and will give you a more consistent color. just note you'll need to peel the tape before the final wet coat of dip dries, otherwise you won't get a clean edge.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
sure you can paint it if you want too you just need to scuff it up enough to give it something to grip too and of course you will not be able to go back.

188slo50

Reaction score
Its paintable but being that chrome is so hard its a pain to get it to adhere to it and last.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgarR213

Members online