Car not staying charged

98mustanggtkid

Reaction score
So as of late my car has been harder and harder to start i drove it on thursday and then put it in the garage for 3 days cuz it was raining ant my vert top leaks so today i went to take it out in the afternoon and started it up, really hard to start i was shocked it started. forgot something inside so i have to turn off the car and go back in. i came back to start the car and it was completely dead. like it wouldnt crank over at all, i think i may have a short somewhere im not sure, i do have about a yr and a half old 200 amp alt, and a new yr old battery

if im driving the battery gauge looks like this
01-31-07_2055.jpg

but if im sitting at a light or just idling it looks like this
01-31-07_2056.jpg

sometimes its actually lower depending what accessories i am using.

I do have under drive pullies on the car but it never used to drop this far only a small bit, i didnt start having this problem till my old alternator completely froze up and cracked the bolts that hold it

any ideas?

i mean i know its not supposed to jump that low with the pullies

i had my alternator tested when i first got it and they said it tested fine so maybe it actually is a defective alternator, it just took a bit to crap out

Any help would be great thanks

Chris

Spooling2Valve

Reaction score
mine had the same problem as urs, turned out to be the alternator. even though they tested it and it turned out good, they do have a built in regulator and tend to go out. mine ate 2 autozone alternators and i effin went to ford and never had a problem since. i would also check those 2 plugs that go into the alternator cuz the locking clips break off after time and with the vibration will back out.

95-stang

Reaction score
Its not unknown for the alternator pulley to spin on the shaft, its not keyed on just held on by the nut, just check the nut is still tight.

OP
OP

98mustanggtkid

Reaction score
So i had the battery tested, and it tested good. i made sure all the connections were good and tight, so maybe it is a bad alt :dunno:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
STANGFLOYD

Members online