Carbon Fiber Skinning

smitdavi

Reaction score
Anyone have connections or know someone that skins with real CF? I have a couple projects that I'd rather not tackle but will if I need to.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have done a few things, have the material and I am only a couple of hours south. I have one piece I want to still do but otherwise time is the big question for me. Trying to get my car on the road. What do you need done?

OP
OP
smitdavi

smitdavi

Reaction score
I have done a few things, have the material and I am only a couple of hours south. I have one piece I want to still do but otherwise time is the big question for me. Trying to get my car on the road. What do you need done?

I really want to do the hood inserts from a GT hood. Shouldn't be too much material, I don't think. I have a ton of family in Eville. All of my Dad's side, including him, still lives there. It's 90 minutes door to door with 69 now.

Reaction score
i want to get the hood scoop, taillight covers and my tank cover in cf. also my mirrors. they would look tits. also ttocs has done his gas tank in cf, hes doing mine too, he just doesnt know it yet...

OP
OP
smitdavi

smitdavi

Reaction score
My plan with the export mirrors (hopefully they arrive) is to wrap the base and then color match the top to the car. I love CF, so I'm just trying to add some subtle touches here and there. Hopefully the wife isn't observant lol

Reaction score
My plan with the export mirrors (hopefully they arrive) is to wrap the base and then color match the top to the car. I love CF, so I'm just trying to add some subtle touches here and there. Hopefully the wife isn't observant lol

OMG

TITS LEGIT LEVEL:

7536853.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the hood inserts could be interesting just because they are a fairly tight fit and the part does grow a bit with the added layer. If you can take the mirror bases apart from the tops they would not be too hard. The gas tank well I have no finished mine yet.....

OP
OP
smitdavi

smitdavi

Reaction score
the hood inserts could be interesting just because they are a fairly tight fit and the part does grow a bit with the added layer. If you can take the mirror bases apart from the tops they would not be too hard. The gas tank well I have no finished mine yet.....

That was my concern with the inserts as well. I'll give ya a shout when the mirrors arrive.

RedTwilight

Reaction score

OMG! You've stolen my idea! LOL

Know how I know it'll look good?... Cause I was thinking the same thing.

OP
OP
smitdavi

smitdavi

Reaction score
OMG! You've stolen my idea! LOL

Know how I know it'll look good?... Cause I was thinking the same thing.

Great minds think alike :)

Looks like the mirrors are going to arrive today and I'm going to start prepping this weekend. I'll try and take lots of pics.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Best way to do the hood inserts for a 94-98 would be to mold the factory inserts and then make up new ones from CF. You then have the problem of figuring out how to attach them.

The other option is to use a non-shift 1K CF fabric which typically has a thickness of .004" or less. But now your talking about a minimum of a yard at $90-250 a yard. Then to get it to its minimum thickness with maximum adhearance to the factory part, it should be vacuum bagged.

Either of these are actually very simple with the proper materials and tools. Which if you do alot of composite work you may already have. Otherwise, finding someone who has it all and can do it is key. I've got everything to do either of the above options, but time is very limited for me currently.

I have been thinking of molding the saild panesl and doing them in CF for my car, but as mentioned, time is getting limited due to starting a new job.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Here's the cowl hood i skinned with a 4.7oz CF right after its sixth coat of clear. The CF wasnt vacuum bagged onto the hood, but looking back on it, i should have. When i go to CF the mirrors and make CF sail panels, all of that will get vacuum bagged.

Reaction score
That'd be cool! I saw some place was selling CF roof panels, but they were more for race cars. I cant remember who it was though. I do remember them being over $1k though

I think you may be referring to griggs. A good buddy of my step dad has a full on racecar. It's a 99 cobra that has the aluminater coyote engine, ccw rims, full on gr40 suspension and totally stripped down and awhile back he got a CF roof put on

Thomas_W

Reaction score
I think you may be referring to griggs. A good buddy of my step dad has a full on racecar. It's a 99 cobra that has the aluminater coyote engine, ccw rims, full on gr40 suspension and totally stripped down and awhile back he got a CF roof put on

That sounds familiar.

RedTwilight

Reaction score
Thomas - Is the UV resistant resin that you used on the hood available from the place you provided the information on a while back? I believe it was in Thomasville or High Point area of NC.

I too want to skin the base of my export mirrors as well as a couple of other little things.

Also check Tiger Racing. They have lots of race parts for Mustangs.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Thomas - Is the UV resistant resin that you used on the hood available from the place you provided the information on a while back? I believe it was in Thomasville or High Point area of NC.

I too want to skin the base of my export mirrors as well as a couple of other little things.

Also check Tiger Racing. They have lots of race parts for Mustangs.

Honestly i cant remember. I believe i got this from theengineerguy.com out of atlanta.

This resin is Adtech 820 with their medium hardener (822 i think?)

its expensive at about $180/ gallon with hardener

Even though it is UV resistant, it may/can/will yellow in time if let untreated. This is why i put 6 coats of clear over it. In about 30 days when the clear is fully cured i'll wax it for further protection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.