Cheap shipping

framda

Reaction score
I don't have anything to buy or sell. I posted this here because it is the most applicable section. FWIW I just shipped a Harley engine (crated 200lbs) from TX to FL for $260.00. Most quotes were over $500. Thought I would spread the word to at least get a quote on heavy stuff that wont go on UPS etc. Their site is freightcenter.com

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can also try greyhound shipping. Not sure what the weight limit is but they are cheap and fairly gentle too.

OP
OP
framda

framda

Reaction score
I have used Greyhound for years but I think their limit is 100lbs. This is more for heavy items that regular channels wont touch.

joekd

Reaction score
The last 2 times I used greyhound they were a complete pain in the ass, to me it seemed like the local terminal simply didn't want to do freight items anymore.

OP
OP
framda

framda

Reaction score
The last time I used them (Greyhound) they dented brand new aluminum tool boxes and only gave me $30.00 compensation. My current shipment in the original post ended up beinf through R+L carriers, but they gave me quotes from most of the major freight companies including UPS, Southeastern, and cooper. I had a return of close to 25 shippers to choose from. I increased the regular insurance due to the value. Waiting to see how it turns out, (also dying to get my engine after 2 yrs of waiting :))

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
thats strange as I know alot of people that use it to ship RC airplanes that are fairly fragile and they never broke those.

OP
OP
framda

framda

Reaction score
Greyhound is ok for cheap light items, I have used them for more than 20 yrs for this type of stuff. Just like a hammer you need different tools for different jobs. When shipping from TX to FL they have a value limit of $300 and a weight limit of 100 lbs. A freshly rebuilt 40 yr old Harley engine just doesn't fit into those parameters. Freight companies are the only way with something this heavy and valuable. UPS, FEDEX, Greyhound etc. won't touch it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online