check engine light of header install

acomaelkhunter

Reaction score
I recently installed BBK long tube headers, BBK o/r X-pipe and o2 sensor extensions.
my engine runs alot cooler and can tell high end power, but after 30 mins of moderate driving the check engine light comes on.

95 GT overhauled block, edelbrock proformer heads, PP intake, BBK 70mm TB, e303 cam, and more...

07GtS197

Reaction score
Have you checked your codes? Id imagine its something related to the long tubes since it started right after the install. It could be crappy o2 extensions, water shorting out the sensors or maybe its not tuned for the long tubes so you get slow response codes due to the o2 sensors being further back than oem placement.

lutter94

Reaction score
If you happen to get an o2 sensor code, swap the extensions. Check for codes after a half hour. If it doesn't follow, swap sensors. Not saying thats it, but if thats all that changed, it shouldn't have caused a code. I'm guessing a bad pin in an extension wire...

OP
OP
acomaelkhunter

acomaelkhunter

Reaction score
i tried to pull codes but i am using a 93 OBD with a tune. the 95 obd wouldnt accept the mods and tune.
I was thinking that the long tubes ran too hot at the collector and burned up my O2 sensors.
I will clean the connections and see how that is. the extension were ordered from BBK and were recommended for these long tubes/

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
where you trying at the harness under the dash, or under the hood? Vatozone can run them for you but be sure they go under the hood.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
It's not your longtubes. I've had longtubes with O2 extensions for over 2 years, never an issue. Run the codes from the emissions testing harness behind the passenger side strut tower. Did you do an egr delete? And did you change O2 sensors while doing the header swap? If not, yours are probably donezo.

OP
OP
acomaelkhunter

acomaelkhunter

Reaction score
the hardness under the dash. I hooked my egr back up. I used the same O2 sensors.
So it maybe the harness extension, connections or O2 sensors

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the harness under the dash was the preperation for OBD2 but it does not connect to anything. You need to pull codes from under the hood.

lutter94

Reaction score
The harness under the dash is for v6 cars. Obd1 is right side fender firewall area

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i tried to pull codes but i am using a 93 OBD with a tune. the 95 obd wouldnt accept the mods and tune.
I was thinking that the long tubes ran too hot at the collector and burned up my O2 sensors.
I will clean the connections and see how that is. the extension were ordered from BBK and were recommended for these long tubes/

Your longtubes won't be hotter where your O2 is, if anything, they will be cooler. The further the exhaust gas gets from the engine, the cooler it gets.

Yup, what others are saying. Forget that OBD2 port. Use the connector under the hood. It is located on the passenger side, between the firewall and shock tower, on the fender. It's a specific connector for the Ford, and your Scan Tool will need this connector and be able to read OBDI stuffs.

Do you have cats? Do you have the smog pump still in place? EGR? If the answer is yes to all of this, and you got a check engine light after your swap, make sure you re-hooked up all your emissions stuff. If you didn't, you will get a MIL.

If the answer is no to all or some of that stuff, then you will still get a MIL. The ECU, during certain portions of driving, will kick on all the emission stuff. If that stuff is no long present to respond to the ECU's commands, the ECU will throw a MIL. This is normal, and will go away after a couple min of driving when it stops trying to enable the emissions stuff. You can remove this MIL by getting a QuarterHorse/Tune and have them turn off the emissions stuff in the tune.

Also, depending on the code you read, you could also have a bad O2. And in the past, some extensions have been known to cause problems, though it's not common. What extensions did you buy? BBK ones?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online