clutch choices????

4camgt

Reaction score
i know this comes up time to time, but what is the best clutch to go with that will not break the bank???
looking to spend less than $400, will find its home in a 4v with drag radials

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Ram work great I run act and love them

blackpony

Reaction score
Having installed, tracked and dailied every brand available, spec is hands down the best imo. I would suggest a stage II clutch for your application. it will give you room to grow should you choose, it drives like stock and has great holding power.

the.greg

Reaction score
I have only run Ram hdx with great results personally, but I have always read horror stories about Spec and some of my friends have also had bad luck with Spec clutches. Do some googling, all major brands have some issues, but from what I've seen Spec is one of the worst from what I've heard and read.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
I'm looking for one soon too man. I've heard that Spec stage 2 and 2+ are good clutches. I'll probably be going with a 2+ myself for the power I'm planning on adding.

But like stated definitely google it and go from peoples reviews. The company's lie, the people don't.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i like my centerforce on my 4v. thats what id suggest. spec is another option.

OP
OP

4camgt

Reaction score
how much power do you need it to hold? No sense in going overkill.

last dyno on a break in tune was 300/301....looking to get an aggressive tune soon. and spray it with a 150 shot in the next 6 months, really want something that is gonna hold. went to the track recently and my current clutch slipped like a 2 dollar whore with the nitto's.

330CubeGt

Reaction score
I run a ACT 6 PUCK unsprung 10.5. stock 10 spline, its either in or out but I daily the car and im used to it now. Just a slight change in driving style to get used to it. And you don't dailly yours anywho. There like $393 new and you never have to worry about clutch slippage :) Either ACT, Mcleod or Centerforce or GTFO. P.S if you buy a spec clutch or any other garbage im not installing the clutch sir :)

Heads up and ass kickin! Using Tapatalk 2

330CubeGt

Reaction score
They suck, have a hard/heavy pedal. Had a spec stg 2 in my 5.4 car and it was the biggest pos I have ever owned and there supplied tob lasted about 2 weeks before it split in 2 and I had to drop trans yet again to install a new TOB.

twovalveterror

Reaction score
as you can see, performance clutches can be hit or miss. I've had good experiences with centerforce dual friction (very light pedal with plenty of clamping force) and ford racing (heavier pedal, but no slippage on my low powered NPI)

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
They suck, have a hard/heavy pedal. Had a spec stg 2 in my 5.4 car and it was the biggest pos I have ever owned and there supplied tob lasted about 2 weeks before it split in 2 and I had to drop trans yet again to install a new TOB.

my spec had a heavy clutch pedal as well, with chatter in reverse...

BUT: it never gave me any problems. it worked great at the track. I dont mind a heavy pedal.

AND you should know better than to use any TOB thats not a FRPP H.O. TOB. .. .. shame on you! :p

330CubeGt

Reaction score
Seems like ACT has its shit together IMO.

I have the softest pedal i have ever had now with this clutch, For me a soft pedal means i can row through the gears like a AUTO :)

Have had quite a few 5 Speed Mustangs now, i have run OEM, STEEDA and ZOOM Adjustable cables, just about every quadrant out there single,double, tripples etc. And have ran just about every clutch under the sun other then a Mcleod. So im just posting from my own personal experience.

As im not sure of the longevity of this ACT Clutch as i have only been running it a few months now, i do know others that run them and have nothing but good to say about them.

On a side note im not a fan of Fidanza Clutches either but hell Carlos Sabrino is one of the fastest in NMRA Factory Stock racers out there and thats all he runs...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online