Clutch Question 97 GT

Jutting

Reaction score
Hey guys, let me start this post by saying I am absolutely clueless when it comes to clutch/transmission troubleshooting so i will do my best to explain this.

The other week I had 3.73 gears installed in my 97 GT. The install went smooth, nothing out of the ordinary. Yesterday my buddy and I were on an enthusiastic drive in our cars north of town. We were messing around at less than highway speeds (speedometer is still off I would guesstimate between 40-55 mph) and I went to grab 2nd gear, which would of been like 3-3500 rpms with my stock gears. Not with 3.73s though, it was almost redline. The tires chirped. And the clutch has felt DIFFERENT since then. The friction point is not the same (farther out) and it is harder to shift in between ALL gears, whereas before it was like BUTTER. I am not sure what to do to fix this. I am leaning towards clutch adjustment but not quite sure. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

And yes, I know, I'm a dummy for grabbing that damn gear. (insert facepalm animation).

Caboose302

Reaction score
I'm assuming you have the stock clutch quadrant in still? They've been know to jump teeth, that's why most people put in aftermarket quadrants. There's some weird way of re-adjusting the stock one though. Something like pulling up on the clutch pedal or something. Is it a stock clutch? I wouldn't think just burning the clutch face would have changed your engagement point.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
To adjust the stock pedal/quadrant, put your toe under the clutch pedal, and lift it up, towards the dash. This takes up any slack on on the stock cable/quadrant.

Burning the clutch face could change the engagement point if material has been physically removed. Not sure that is what happened here, though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online

No members online now.