cobra engine swap ideas??

seth_96_gt

Reaction score
hey guys so i got a 96 gt and have been debating on either modding the 2v or swapping for a 4v iv never swapped an motor out and was just trying to piece together all the little odds and ends that would be needed to make the swap possible

switch96

Reaction score
x2. Wiring/harness is the hardest part IMO, but all the gremlins will beat you to death.

Marvin97

Reaction score
4v swaps aren't cheap, besides all the little pieces you'll also have to consider the price of a dyno tune. You should also consider the price to tow it to the tuner or have it hauled. What kind of 4v where you considering going with?

OP
OP
S

seth_96_gt

Reaction score
well i found a good price on a 01 cobra motor with the wiring harness will i need a different tranny or bell housing and wat will the motor mounts from my 96 gt work ??

Marvin97

Reaction score
Here is how my swap went into my 97: 01 cobra engine/transmission, engine harness, fuel rails for a 96-98 cobra or aftermarket rails, maf meter for the 24lb injectors, all the radiator hoses and the thermostat housing, cobra throttle cable. This is everything parts wise that you'll need for the swap into your gt.
The 96-98 fuel rails are a pain in the butt to get them seated properly without leaking, and the mounting tabs for them don't line up with the bolt holes on the 01 cobra lower, so you'll have to fab up some brackets. Aftermarket fuel rails would be easier but will cost you a little more.
The cobra throttle cables aren't that easy to come by either, i'd keep an eye out on corral.net, I actually got the rails and throttle cable from there. You might check svtperformance.com as well.
My engine didn't come with the thermostat housing or the radiator hoses, and they're all different. From Ford, these alone cost me $335.
You're motor mounts from your gt will work.
I kept the gt wiring harness on mine, all you need to do is swap the plugs for the fuel injectors. A little cutting, stripping and soldering never hurt anyone. Also use shrink wrap as well, this is one area where you can't afford to take the cheap way out. But all the fuel injector plugs are color coded, so its kinda hard to mess it up. You'll also need to install another coolant temp sensor if you want you stock coolant gauge to work. I didn't do this because i'll be installing an autometer coolant gauge in a couple weeks.
You're tranny and bellhousing should work fine as well.
Also, plan on a dyno tune. Unless you've heard this motor run, I wouldn't count on it starting up first thing. I never heard my engine run before I bought it and it wouldn't start after install. I loaded it and took it to my tuner to find out it had a bad crankshaft position sensor. Not a big deal. But you will need a tune for it to work, your gt tune just won't cut it. Hope this helps, if you have any questions feel free to ask, I just finished this swap in mine about 2 months ago :)

OP
OP
S

seth_96_gt

Reaction score
thanks a lot man the write up really helps alot you think my t45 will hold up to the cobra motor or will i have to upgrade to like a t56 or a tko500/600

Marvin97

Reaction score
Thats hard to say. To me, its more of how you treat the car than how much power it makes. Some people destroy t-5's and t-45's with the stock motor, just mistreating them. Its not so much the power level as it is you I think. Im using the 3650 that came with the engine I bought, but if anything ever happens to it I have my old t-45 as a backup. If yours is in good shape and you don't powershift it every time you get in the car, i'd say it'll be fine.

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
i used to beat on my cobra every now and then and the t45 has held up fine. plus, add the original owner before me who daily drove it.... it has 120,000+ on the tranny and it still shifts perfectly.

you should be okay. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

seth_96_gt

Reaction score
ya on my t45 theres bout 95k on it and the rear seal is leakin a little bit of tranny fluid i noticed when i had the car on ramps... i wouldnt need like a different housing for the 4v tho..

Marvin97

Reaction score
No, the block is the same so the bellhousing is the same. The cobra's came with the same tranny's

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online