cobra front contro arms??

MuscleInc1320

Reaction score
i keep hearing about ppl upgrading their front control arms to 03-04 cobra ones. whats the advantage upgrading to just another factory part? i mean like are really that much better then the ones that come on, lets say...my 94 gt?

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Ford Racing claims that 03-04 control arm bushings are stiffer bushings than any other factory mustang or cobra. Some people on this forum claim that it also has altered geometry, which raises the car for supposably wider wheel clearance, but I've never heard of that before, on any other forums or anywhere on the discription. My guess is that people confuse worn out bushing to new bushing effect and geometry.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
On that note, they also don't require coil-over conversion, like most aftermarket tubular control arms do.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I was being kindof a smart ass... they actually are better thank stock, better bushings and slightly improved geometry.

coil over's are cheap, it's the struts that get ya.

96sohc

Reaction score
They allow for a tighter turning radius...something like a 10% improvement.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
96sohc said:
They allow for a tighter turning radius...something like a 10% improvement.

You know, I keep hearing about that, but it just does not penetrate my brain, how can control arms give you more steering angle? I always thought that steering angle was defined by the length of tie rods and steering rack travel. So if someone would be able to clear this up for me, I would be greatful.

OP
OP
M

MuscleInc1320

Reaction score
so basically they are just a cheap upgrade from stock gt control arms but really dont make that big of a difference unless you are going with a coil over setup and dont want tubular control arms?

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
03/04 Cobra A-Arms increase turning radius on 94-98 mustangs by 10%. They have 50% stiffer bushings and a LOw Friction BallJoint.

I upgraded mine to 03/04 A-arms and i am Very satisfied. It alters the steering geometry to allows ALOT more turning radius for wider tires. It makes out cars actually able to do U-Turn.... I Great upgrade in my book. They are Pretty cheap at $160 from Buyfordracing.com. I got mine for $40 with 2,000 miles on them :thumb:

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Still not hearing how exactly it decreases the u-turn radius...

94Pro-5.0

Reaction score
i think the factory CA's hit the wheel which decreases the turning radius. the 03's have a different shape that clears larger, wider wheels

96sohc

Reaction score
ReplicaR said:
You know, I keep hearing about that, but it just does not penetrate my brain, how can control arms give you more steering angle? I always thought that steering angle was defined by the length of tie rods and steering rack travel. So if someone would be able to clear this up for me, I would be greatful.

I'm not an engineer, nor do I claim to be.
How it makes it better, and if it really does, I don't know.
I do know, however, that the 03 arms I have sitting in my shed have a lot less miles on them than my stockers; and
for having absolutely nothing in them I won't mind swapping them out when I go to coil-overs.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ReplicaR said:
Still not hearing how exactly it decreases the u-turn radius...

The stock 94-98 A-Arms are only designed to accept a 8 inch wide wheel. When you put wiser wheels on the front then they will scrape and grind on the Control Arm. Many members on this forum have experienced this issue. the Cobra A-Arms are designed to fit a 9 inch wheel and are shaped different to give clearance to the wheel when turning.

OP
OP
M

MuscleInc1320

Reaction score
hmm maybe i will take a look around to see if i can pick up a cheap pair of those control arms.

OP
OP
M

MuscleInc1320

Reaction score
when i do get i am definetly going to buy them new. lol i really wont want to rush out to buy used control arms

badass98svt

Reaction score
I just installed my termy arms about a month ago.
The car feels smoother all around up front. My steering seems tighter, like 10% less effort needed to turn the wheel to make a turn. I f that makes sense.

What a pain in the ass my two front A arm bolts were! Anyone else's? The front bolt was seized to the bushing sleeve on both control arms!

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My Front A-Arms WERE A BITCH To remove!!!! Hurt my hands good. damn steering rack got in the way and all the bolts were seized.... it was a PITA

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
badass98svt said:
^^^
Glad I wasn't the only one.

the whole job SUCKED SO BAD!!!! I hated every minute of it. even had to remove k-member bolts to get the A-Arm bolt out :nonono:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican

Members online