M-3075-D front arms vs. The World

shovel

Reaction score
I have two 4th gen Mustangs, a 94 GT and 96 V6 .

Both of 'em are due for new ball joints so I decided to buy new LCA's and use this opportunity to settle some rumors. I have not yet removed the OE arms off the cars, things might get more interesting when I do that but for now here's what the Ford Racing M-3075-D arm looks like next to a Moog RK620899 aftermarket control arm.

The annotations are things which I have read about the Ford Racing arms and which appear to be accurate on observation. I do not have suitable tools to measure these oddly shaped arms with enough precision to matter, but holding them up against each other from every angle and visually observing them with two eyes in person, and asking my wife to spot differences without prompting her - these things seem to be at least somewhat accurate. I don't have a good way of testing the firmness of the front bushing other than poking it with the tip of a pen and pretending I know what I'm doing.

Arms.png

PXL_20230519_180227782.jpg

What I can observe at a glance:

It appears that the spring cup for the Moog arm is deeper. This means the Moog arm would result in a lower ride height, all else equal.

It appears that the trailing edge of the Cobra arm is "scooped" at least 1/4" narrower than the Moog arm

The ball joint, at least in brand new condition, is MUCH easier to jiggle on the Cobra arm.

The rear bushings look and feel substantially similar. The front bushing is of a different design and seems slightly firmer on the Cobra arm when poked with a highly scientific pen.

This part is difficult to tell but it does look at least plausible that the ball joint is farther forward on the Cobra arm. It would almost need to be mounted on some kind of jig to measure it accurately enough to be certain.

The weight of both arms feels about similar and I don't observe a visual difference in the thickness of the stamping.

OP
OP
shovel

shovel

Reaction score
Yes, I was surprised to find a set for sale here (out of stock now, probably forever) https://www.winnerscircle.com/collections/all/products/frdm3075d - I must have bought the last set in existence. Around $60 more than the pair of Moog arms, but roughly the same amount less than BMR arms that I was considering. Bought 'em mostly out of curiosity I'm certain I won't notice a difference vs. the Moogs in the real world maybe somebody who does actual racing or sustained 100+mph might benefit from them.

The funny thing is even if I discover they're amazing it won't help anyone if nobody can buy 'em.

badass98svt

Reaction score
I had a pair of those before switching to tubular arms.
You will definitely notice to increase in turning radius with them for sure.

OP
OP
shovel

shovel

Reaction score
Now that I've removed an arm from my 96, the Moog aftermarket arm (stamping) is almost identical to the original 96 arm. Same spring cup depth, same trailing edge rim-clearance profile, very obviously the same ball joint location relative to pivots.

With the ball joint removed from the 96 arm via sledge hammer it's easier to overlay the arm on the new arms. I'll see if I can take a couple usable photos but the rim clearance thing is definite and it still appears that the ball joint/caster thing is true but it's real subtle, easier to see with eyes in person than I think I can convey with a handheld camera because the parallax effect doesn't make it obvious if the ball joint is moved or if the camera angle is just making it look that way.

Anyway the take-away for all this is no matter who you are if you're still on original ball joints from the 90s you're gambling. The Moog arms are great, available and affordable. The Ford Racing arms are probably great, but not available. BMR makes premium arms that weigh less and would probably be my cost no object choice just for the weight savings.

wmfateam

Reaction score
Was literally just looking for these arms across the internet on Friday, lol. Was about to go with a used set of Terminator arms. Thanks for the confirmation of the forward ball joints as I was just going off forum data from 2005.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online