Cobra IRS $700 fb marketplace

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
Now with free cancer (rust). Gotta love states that salt the roads. The sway bar has some deep looking rust pitting and the front cradle arms look like they might have some significant rust pitting too. It may or may not be worth what it'll cost to recondition it. I'd definitely replace every bushing, they're looking crunchy. I'd also replace the cross axis joints just because, and then pull it all completely apart to bead blast the whole cradle and all the arms, inspect for cancer in need of repair and fix that and then upgrade the diff to the later 31-spline model (and the half-shafts) and put in a FTBR bushing kit and a replacement sway bar. 700 bucks is less than the cost of 1/3 of the parts on it that are still good but the parts that aren't good aren't clearly identifiable so there could be substantial hidden cost, or not.

For anyone interested in an IRS swap (I've done several of them) if you can find one use the 01 or slightly better yet the 03/04. They have some benefits and they all have more common parts with each other than the 99 has with literally anything else ever created. Not saying a 99 IRS is bad, they're fine. The later units are enough better to consider though. One thing to really watch out for is the rear diff mount. They're not expensive or hard to replace and they are the cause of so much carnage. The factory piece is very nearly trash. FTBO and others make replacements that are far superior. If the rear mount breaks or gets too much slop or the bolts fixing it to the diff cover come loose your pumpkin will try to nose up and very often it will snap the front ears off the center section and if that happens it's a near certainty that it'll then destroy the rear cover and you might not even know about it until you see the puddle of gear oil on the ground and the back of your car smoothly buttered with gear oil. I bought an IRS unit that had a bad rear mount and I didn't find it the easy and cheap way. Then I got to buy a brand new center section and rear cover and a bunch of other parts and labor.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
little more than an hour from me and while I still have the car in the air I am still not interested.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online

No members online now.