Cooling Issue.

NCMystic

Reaction score
1996 Cobra with 106,xxx miles. The only engine work that has been done to it since i've owned it is having the head gaskets replaced and the flywheel turned. Owned it for a while and just recently started overheating. It would be fine for 10 or 15 miles and all at once the temp needle would burry itself on the hot side. Also liked to puke coolant out of the radiator reservour cap. Came with a vented cap so i tried a cap that seals (forget how many lbs, would have to look). Stopped blowing the coolant back out and steaming at that point but continued to get hot. Replaced the tstat and that also had no effect. Have noticed the fan does not turn on, check the fuses and all were fine. Engine oil is not contaminated with water. And when i replaced the tstat it flushed the whole system out so i know it's not clogged. Water pump is not making any bad noises. What do you guys think? Certainly the fan needs to be repaired or replaced but otherwise i don't know what else to check. Any input helps, thanks.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
DIag why the fan isnt working. Next check and bleed ALL the air from the cooling system, sounds like you may have some trapped. After that test and see if it changs......

1) how long it takes you to over heat
2) if the fan does come on, at what temp
3) if there are any coolant leaks

OP
OP
NCMystic

NCMystic

Reaction score
definately no leaks, i'll look into the fan and make sure there's no air in the system when i get it back.

OP
OP
NCMystic

NCMystic

Reaction score
i have heard that a number of 96 cobras had factory cooling problems that were solved by some mysterious "fix". any idea what the issue was and/or what the fix is???

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
FirstOnRaceDay ;) said:
Have noticed the fan does not turn on
problem found. fix it.

my fan has a bad connection and doesn't turn on sometimes. if i am in stop and go traffic, the temp will go straight up. if i am doing over 35mph or so, itll stay cool cause of the incoming air. your problem is the fan im sure.

StreetPilot

Reaction score
Check your CCRM (Constant Control Relay Module). It controls the fan, the AC, and a couple of other things. If your fan tests out to be working when it's getting a switched power source, then the CCRM is most likely not kicking it on and you'll need a replacement. They are year-specific, so be careful which one you get.

The CCRM is located in the passenger side fenderwell up and behind the fender liner. It's a small box about 5"x3"x2". Hope this helps.

96_SVT_Cobra

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
StreetPilot said:
Check your CCRM (Constant Control Relay Module). It controls the fan, the AC, and a couple of other things. If your fan tests out to be working when it's getting a switched power source, then the CCRM is most likely not kicking it on and you'll need a replacement. They are year-specific, so be careful which one you get.

The CCRM is located in the passenger side fenderwell up and behind the fender liner. It's a small box about 5"x3"x2". Hope this helps.

that is what i would say it is too

OP
OP
NCMystic

NCMystic

Reaction score
thank you all very much, i'll have my fan tested asap and if it's not that then i'll replace the ccrm. could the temp sending unit have anything to do with that or is that just another name for the ccrm? squid question, i know.

danielson631

Reaction score
hey just wondering if you ever solved your problem?

the first thing i would try is open the cap on the coolant crossover and pour coolant in too make sure theres no air pockets up there. id do it while the car is running and leave the coolant resevior cap open too.

im thinking air pockets are so coming bc the resevior sits lower that the crossover so an air bubble always gets stuck in there.

ive had cooling issues many times and everytime is was bc there was an air pocket. i had a bad clamp that was causing the slightest leak so it would take time for it to make a big enough air pocket in the system and it would overheat. id just open the C.C. and pour some down in there and it would be fine.

OP
OP
NCMystic

NCMystic

Reaction score
danielson631 said:
hey just wondering if you ever solved your problem?

the first thing i would try is open the cap on the coolant crossover and pour coolant in too make sure theres no air pockets up there. id do it while the car is running and leave the coolant resevior cap open too.

im thinking air pockets are so coming bc the resevior sits lower that the crossover so an air bubble always gets stuck in there.

ive had cooling issues many times and everytime is was bc there was an air pocket. i had a bad clamp that was causing the slightest leak so it would take time for it to make a big enough air pocket in the system and it would overheat. id just open the C.C. and pour some down in there and it would be fine.

i have not driven the car due to it being in the body shop. the first thing i do when i get it back will be just that, great advice. thanks

96_SVT_Cobra

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
where are the pics of it ready for paint... also glad u got ur ccrm ordered it should help out a lot. that was what was wrong with mine back in the dayl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAR_19

Members online

No members online now.