Corrosion advice?

chris86uk

Reaction score
I just removed the air filter housing to get to left hand bank spark plugs and noticed this lurking at the bottom of the strut tower...

IMG-20130822-00552.jpg

IMG-20130822-00553.jpg

I can see a bit on the drivers side tower too but it's obviously obscured by all the electronic boxes.

Has England been unkind to my Mustang or is this a common thing? If so, would it be a good idea to remove the wheel arch liner to get to the bottom side of the panel too or is it only that part of the strut tower that suffers?

If there are any other common rust areas I should sort out, I'd appreciate the heads up :smiley:

Thanks

Chris

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would take it apart and take a really good look at what is there and what is not no matter if its a common problem or not.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
First off I figure I'd let you know that "left hand side" is the driver's side, just a heads up.

Funny though, I just fixed this on my car. Only thing to do is cut it out and weld in new metal. This can get nasty as the rust is past where you can see it so you won't be able to weld it properly without cutting out more than you need.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
As I said and as you can see here, I just fixed this same issue. I'm not sure if it's a common problem or not because I think mine was caused by my shorty header being ridiculously close to the strut tower.

OP
OP
chris86uk

chris86uk

Reaction score
Damn! Just noticed my typo in the title haha :eek:

Thanks for you replies, I'll strip it down and check everything out.

Whiplash, i don't suppose you've got another pic closer to the repair you've done? And yep, my mistake, left hand side is the drivers side. I fell into the 'left hand while facing it' trap :smiley:

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Corrostion advice?

Ha yeah everyone makes that mistake when they're under the hood.

Yeah I've got plenty of pics of the progress. Unfortunately mine was a little too far gone and was gonna take some major repair that I didn't have time for, but you'll get the idea. I'll post pics tonight when I get on the computer.

EDIT: Here's the way it is as of right now.

u3u3yzyg.jpg

Sent from bored/stroked iPhone

OP
OP
chris86uk

chris86uk

Reaction score
Thanks, that's very kind of you :grin:

It'll just give me a better idea of how to go about it. I suppose there's bound to be rust, they're the best part of 20 years old after all!

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah it's gonna happen sooner or later. I can give you some tips when you get into it if you'd like.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
uvahetep.jpg

vy6ybe9a.jpg

typynu4a.jpg

9edeza3e.jpg

EDIT: I've got more pics, just have to find them.

OP
OP
chris86uk

chris86uk

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics! Gives me an idea where to start :) Definitely looks like that header was hitting the panel.

Oh and thanks for fixing the thread title. I tried but couldn't figure out how to do it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgarR213

Members online