Couldn't shake a cummins turbo diesel

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by Bluesn95, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Bluesn95

Bluesn95 Active Member

Uh....yeah... about an hour ago I had a BIG 3/4 cumminss all over my ass. we ran several time from 60 to 120 where i finally started to pull from him. We ran about 5 times. I was kinda embarassed but I think I would have killed him from a dig. He must have had major booost. I did have 2 passengers and the windows down but that still doesnt make me feel any better. I need more power. Will just a pi swap do It or should I do a forged ported 2 valve. I cant stand to have a 9000 lb truck hang with me.

2. Daywalker

Daywalker Member

Gotta get that stock NPI stuff outta there, that's number one...

3. Passenger

Passenger Well-Known Member

Hell, theres a 6.0L Powerstroke I can never get away from. Every time I end up rolling my windows up because he is covering me in black soot. Its badass 8)

4. Late4Work

Late4Work Well-Known Member

If u wanna stay naturally aspirated id go with a full PI swap, H/C/I, and a nice exhaust.......those mods will give u a lil more omph

5. rick focks

rick focks Legend

if you can get up to DFW this w/e and pull it, you can have my pi motor outta my '02 for almost nothing...

6. gt96stang

gt96stang Well-Known Member

God I soooo wish I could.. :lame:

7. Lightning Struck

Lightning Struck Legend

he he, better stay clear of L's >:D

8. Passenger

Stock L's don't pull me too bad. 4-HI in a Powerstroke however, scares the fuck out of me.

9. DropTopPony

DropTopPony Administrator Staff Member Admin SN95 Supporter

My friend has a F250 with the 6.0 and some Banks exhaust and chip...when he flips it to power settings that thing is a monster...just a chip will double the HP and TQ from stock on those things...i've seen them running 13's at the track. :eek:

10. Lightning Struck

Lightning Struck Legend

stock is the key word there, pull beside one that has a 6lb on it :boink:

11. DropTopPony

DropTopPony Administrator Staff Member Admin SN95 Supporter

Lesbians are fast? :dunno:

12. Passenger

Your forgetting something Sir! I have a little squeeze on my car!

What do L's with 6# lowers usually put down? ET wise?

13. Lightning Struck

Lightning Struck Legend

ehhhh, its realy hard to say exactly man. Outside conditions play a big part in how the L's run, I have seen BONE STOCK ones do low 13's at OVER 100mph and then others do upper 13's ( this is the 03-04 model like mine/ fastest of the production years )

Normaly if a L owner has a 6lb pulley it will have a coldair kit, TB, and a upper intake too and mid 12's is pretty much the norm. Having the 6lb lower is a mod that needs to be accompied by a few other little things too have maximum effiency. There are a LOT of guys on nloc.net that has the squeeze on their L's ( 50 shot ) and they dip in the 11's. However you can get 11's without it if you have full boltons and a GREAT tune.

The ever popular 400/500 club is a CAI / pulley / exhaust / and tune away......pretty easy to get into.

14. Passenger

I've noticed how outside conditions play on L's. Those bastards heat soak like hell it seems. A local guy here in town with a Harley truck made some sort of jumper wire for his fuse box to keep the thinga-ma-jigger on (cools down the heat exchanger).

I love Lightning's though. I remember when Dave first got his, when I sat in the seats it felt like they hugged me or something. So comfy! As far as mods go, I don't think he is gonna go too wild with it since he has a turbo fox. Maybe something like a 4# lower, tuner, exhaust/intake and call it quits.

15. Lightning Struck

Lightning Struck Legend

heat soak on the Eaton is the down fall of the L's if you do the cooling kit upgrade your better off for sure but its still not = to the cooling advantages of a KB or Whipple swap. I'm doing a ported Eaton myself with a kit similar to the one that RPM outlet offers that has everything you need to upgrade the ENITRE cooling system. Should make for a cool situation 8)........... :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: And more consistant performance :)

16. Passenger

What made you decide to do the ported Eaton over the KB/Whipple? Price?

17. Lightning Struck

Lightning Struck Legend

yea at least for right now, the ported eaton is the road im going down. However in a year or so I may do a KB or whip swap :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: just have to see how happy I am with the low 12's that im looking to get out of it >:D. If I do go KB or whip I will have a built lower end for it, there is no point in having a blower that can make in excess of 600hp+ and a block that can only handle 450-475 before it goes south. Know what i mean ...... :)

18. Passenger

Yep. Makes perfect sense.

By chance, is there a black turbo Lightning on NLOC from Arkansas? I think the guys name is Frank?

19. Lightning Struck

Lightning Struck Legend

H!!!!! there are so many bad :ass3: L's over there I could not begin to try to pin point a single one ;D ;D ;D ;D I imagine so though O0

20. Passenger

This guy ran at Pinks All Out here in Bristol a few weeks ago. F'n wicked truck. I'm about 95% sure I was told it had a Ford GT shortblock in it, haha.