Crankcase ventilat

joey408w

Reaction score
What are some suggestions for crankcase ventilation- no EGR, PCV, just a 408 stroker with EFI in a ‘94 convertible. I was running a vac pump, but it wasn’t very reliable.

tvsn95

Reaction score
I run a homemade vented catch can . original PCV removed and hosed to the can. ALSO use a 96 v8 explorer right side valve cover with oil filler removed and mounted on the left side backwards. this has a 11/2 hose ( radiator ) plumbed into the catch can. the can it vented on top with an old school push in breather.
this fixed my turbo motor.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have never been able to get a good answer on what is good to do with the pcv or catch can. Seems anyone that gives an answer its always different from the one before.

TrickVert

Reaction score
I don't understand why some people think it's necessary or beneficial to delete the PCV system, especially on a N/A motor. It's a well-designed, effective solution to remove water vapor and contaminants from the oil. My recommendation is to reinstall it and let it do its job.

P. S. Even with forced induction the PCV system can be retained. A check valve and Turbo Coupe PCV valve keep plenum pressure out of the block, and a venting oil cap (that's sealed under normal conditions) will work to relieve any pressure from blowby.

tvsn95

Reaction score
in response to the PCV question.
I agree that it can be retained,,,,,but if your setup needs lots of vent then you may as well ditch the valve. On a boosted app , god forbid the valve does not blow shut..in any case your not likely to have enough vent to a can with a small hose from the PCV location
I have had poor results using small hoses, I run a check valve to the can with a small 1/8 orifice to pull vapors any time there is vacuum. that keeps things cleaner.
the last couple I have installed I ditch the PCV and run a can with as many vents as practical , then tune out the un metered air that the PCV allowed.
On boosted I run a check valve to the car system vacuum to prevent losing the brakes and AC controls, had to install an electric vac pump on one supercharged car with a big cam...No vac
By the way the PCV system will absolutely crap up an intake.

TrickVert

Reaction score
This car is not supercharged, and if you're worried the PCV will "crap up the intake," then installing a simple oil separator in line will avoid it.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
When I put the supercharger on my cobra
And tore the engine this last round apart the top end had quite a bit of residue of oil
I can tell that a supercharger dose suck more oil in through the pcv valve and I'm sure there is a bit on a none supercharged engine
I did put a catch can on mine this time
And I will monitor how much oil is being pulled by the supercharger

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Top end components in oil
Bottom opening of supercharger
The gaskets
The intake runner eliminate plates
A catch can should correct the oil flow there

dcm0123

Reaction score
I can tell that a supercharger dose suck more oil in through the pcv valve and I'm sure there is a bit on a none supercharged engine

We are also running a supercharger on a 351. I never thought about the PCV valve before. We have a stock PCV set up on it now with the hose feeding directly into the intake. Runs about 5 PSI boost maximum.

I presume when the supercharger creates pressure in the intake you end up shutting the valve yet you said there is a more oil blowby going into the manifold with a supercharger. Can you please explain your reasoning behind this?

What is the drawback to running a PCV valve with a supercharger?

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
When oil is at the top in the valve covers
The baffled part in the valve covers oil gets past that
And a supercharger will pull more oil at the top end
I'm not really sure why
But a new engine with a new supercharger
Had my gaskets coated with oil
And I was talking to a friend of mine he recommended a catch can
I am still in the testing

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
A pvc valve to ventilate and help sludge build up and burn gases through the air cleaner or cai

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
And from what I understood the 4 valve 4.6 5.4. When supercharged are the worst to do it

dcm0123

Reaction score
In my case the PCV is in back of the engine through the intake manifold. The small factory mesh/metal filter is below it.

I am not an expert and learning so your input is appreciated.

The car pulls about 12-13" vacuum at idle which is sufficient for the brake booster.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I thought boosted vehicles just had a little more blowby when under boost and a higher pressure in the crank case because of it?

TrickVert

Reaction score

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Did you vent one or both valve covers with that breather

I did see where a guy installed a catch can and had both sides hooked to it pcv valve on one side and the other none pvc valve
This is on a 4.6 dohc
I'm always looking for new ways
If you have ideas let me know

TrickVert

Reaction score
I'm running the CFM piece in place of the standard oil cap. Just thst one. I don't think the PCV systems are all that different 5.0 to 4.6. Parts and positions, maybe, but all PCV systems work in basically the same way. Sorry I don't know the particulars for yours.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
No problem

I will get it
I was wondering how many different options there are
I'm going to do some testing and see what works

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member